Chapter 27: Confession

Last chapter. I'm going to write a second work, a continuation. Stay tuned for book II.

~♢~

"Did I ever tell you why I was bullied?" Y/n asked Jean with tears dribbling down her puffy cheeks.

The boy shook his head and looked at the girl steadily.

"No."

Sniffling, Y/n closed her eyes.

"It was because I was friends with a group of boys in middle school," she said as her voice gradually decayed to just barely above a whisper. "I loved them all. They were cool and fun to talk to," she admitted, thinking back to those days when she would sit on some faded blue tables, next to a blonde boy with short hair and kind, hazel eyes. "Until it stopped being fun. When the girls in my class started to call me weird for sitting with them."

She opened her eyes as she felt Jean lay his head on top of hers comfortingly.

She took in a raggedy breath and spoke.

"They always assumed that I was dating one of them. Or that I had crushes on all of them. 'Cause of course a girl can't be friends with a guy unless she wants something from him, right?" she asked sardonically.

"That's why I was upset at the beach, when Ymir said those things about--about you and me."

Her lips trembled, and her chest ached in the worst way, unbearable.

"And that's why I'm so sad right now," she sobbed out onto the boy's shoulder. "Because I thought that I'd never have to hear baseless accusations like that again."

She brought a hand up to wipe her eyes, and then she stared down blankly at her lap.

~♢~

After the movie, Y/n had taken everyone home. Eren and Mikasa were the last to be dropped off, and they noticed how quiet Y/n was, which was certainly a shift from how she had been earlier.

"What happened?" Eren asked from the passenger seat as he kept his eyes on the girl.

Y/n's fingertips lightly padded against the leather of the steering wheel, and not once did she lose focus on the road.

She only shook her head in response to Eren and the boy frowned.

"Y/n, you can tell us," Mikasa assured quietly from the back seat. They coaxed the girl until she finally gave in, relaying what had happened.

"I'm just...confused. And a bit hurt," Y/n said as her lips dipped further down. Armin had never done anything to offend her before (minus the infamous Valentine's Day incident), but she supposed there was a first for everything.

"That's weird that he would do that," Eren wondered aloud and Mikasa stayed silent.

Y/n came to a gradual halt in front of the house and she parked the car. Eren and Mikasa, though unbuckling their belts, stayed in the car to chat more.

"Do you guys think he was on a date with Hitch?" Y/n asked fearfully and Eren was quick to ward off the girl's worries.

"Hell no! Armin wants to marry you or something," Eren exaggerated and Y/n turned red. The brunette slumped down in his seat, feeling exhausted, and casually laid his feet up on Y/n's dashboard. "Y/n, when are you gonna realize that Armin likes you? He would never go out with Hitch. She doesn't even watch AOT! And that's a big deal for Armin," Eren chuckled as his green eyes trailed off onto a distant flickering light. "He's a mega nerd."