Sam Fraser Part 1

Sam POV

I hear girls giggling while I change into my uniform in the bathroom stall of the locker rooms.

"Isn't Brad so hot?" One of the girls squeals out.

"I can't wait to see him at practice, he's so attractive when he's sweaty."

The girls go quiet, small whispers between them, and suddenly a roar of laughter and bickering. I hear them say something about a tassel or a tuba, and I hear them leave. I get out of the stall with my old clothes and go to my locker to put them away, but stop to look at myself in the mirror.

I've always changed in the stalls for practice, and I wait until everyone's left for me to leave too just because I'm kinda embarrassed I do it. I don't know, I've never liked the idea of changing in front of other people. It felt wrong even when everyone else did it. I found myself in middle school always looking up when we all change and never making eye contact with anyone else, even if they're talking to me. Like when I was looking at girls while they were changing, even though I always made eye contact, it felt wrong. Making eye contact makes it feel more-- intense. So I just never looked at anyone. And then I realized just isolating myself in a bathroom stall was just easier. I didn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable when I looked at them.

I come out of the bathrooms and go to my locker. I turn the corner and see a girl changing and I immediately stop and look up as soon as she sees me too.

"Sorry." I let out. A warmness flushes over my face.

"No harm done." The girl says, holding her shirt with her bra exposed. She pulls the shirt over and grabs the rest of her band uniform from her locker. I've never seen this girl before.

"I thought everyone left." I say, going to my locker, which is directly across from hers.

"Sorry to disappoint. I've been here." She buttons the band jacket, and puts her boots on.

"Let me know if I'm taking too much of your air, your highness." She bows sarcastically and looks at my uniform. I look down, which, looking at now, was a dumb move. She grabs her hat from the bench and puts it on, seemingly waiting for me to say something.

"Really? Nothing?" She says, judgy. I don't know what I did for her to talk to me like this. I've never met this girl ever. At least I don't think so.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"Oh, classic Shadyside cheerleader move, playing dumb. Whatever." She slams her locker. "Tell your pretty little minions to fuck off and leave me alone. I'm sick of this bullshit." She leaves while glaring at me. I stay still, in shock. I don't know how I've managed to get on the wrong foot with everyone I come in contact with.

During practice it goes as usual. Warm ups, stretches, practicing chants. I look around every second I get to see where the band is, hoping to see the girl from before. I hope she's okay. I mean, I don't even know if I did something to her, I don't think I did. I feel like I would remember if I did. I want to apologize since she didn't give me a chance to, and hopefully then we get back on the right track. I don't like ever feeling that I hurt someone when I didn't intend to at all.

Coach catches up before practice is over for a talk with the team.

"Great practice today, ladies. Before everyone goes, a reminder that the mix for this season's games is due next week! I need a song from everyone by next week so I can send it off to the band director for their kids to learn. So one song from everyone by next week. If you don't have a single song, I'm taking points off your overall. Have a good weekend, ladies!"