Deena and Sam Part 6

DECEMBER

I could feel my eyes getting heavy while I was in Chemistry. I stayed up late last night with Josh because I was making him help with my Algebra. I don't know how the kid knows so much about lines and exponents or whatever. I don't understand why I need to retain any of this knowledge considering no one ever uses it. That's what calculators are for. 

I've never been good at school. I don't see the point of it really. I'm just waiting till I graduate so I can move onto another stupid milestone. Sam wants to move out of Shadyside and live somewhere "grand", is what she calls it. I have no plans on ever leaving, speaking as if I could leave. But I would try harder in school if I knew at the end of the road, I could be with her, outside of this town. 

It's been a few weeks since the whole Sam's Mom shit went down and since she's cooled off a bit. Occasionally, Sam does have to sneak me into the house if she didn't tell her mom I was coming over before hand. Other than that, things are good. Like they are. Breathing in air is easier and coming to school everyday and seeing her makes it all worth it. 

I woke up to the bell and got up to leave. I was dreaming of living in San Francisco with Sam. She's said on and on about how wonderful of a life she'd have out there, 'cause everyone there is like themselves and stuff, so she knows she could be like that too. I don't find the trouble in that though, I've managed to be me here, given there have been a ton of fuckups. I guess she sees it differently. Part of me feels like she doesn't want people to know the real her. But in some weird, possessive way, I love that. I love that she can only be herself around me. But it would be nice to be able to kiss her in front of the whole school and not have her have a full blown dramatic episode.

I pushed my way through the halls, everyone in this school are such slow walkers, it's so annoying. Everyone is like absolute giraffes compared to me, which doesn't add up since they all have long ass legs but have the mileage of grandparents. I see Simon and Kate waiting by my locker, Simon was showing off his new ring he got with his "special" money. The ring is pretty sick, all shiny and bold. It suits him well. Kate was making googly eyes at the ring, trying it on herself.

"Cool ring." I said, opening my locker to put books away.

Kate holds her finger out to look at her hand with the ring.

"What are we thinking? Do I look like royalty yet?" She puts her bedazzled hand up to her face and pretends she's Madonna from that one photoshoot in the 80s. Simon pretends he's paparazzi and makes clicking noises as if he's taking pictures of Kate.

"Show off the good side! That's it, Kate baby, beautiful, gorgeous! There's the money shot!"

We laugh, Kate handing the ring back to Simon.

"Hey, if the business doesn't work out, you could be a paparazzo." I say, locking my locker.

"You think I have the energy to chase celebrities around all day? I'd much rather be a celebrity. I think the lifestyle is calling for me." He puts his hand to his ear as if he can hear it calling to him. Kate pushes Simon playfully, laughing.

Sam comes around the corner flashing a smile when I see her.

"Hey guys." Sam says, Simon putting his new ring in her face immediately.

"Dude, look! You like?" His goofy smile shows, and Sam is oohing and awwing at the ring. I grab onto Sam's arm and wrap myself around it. Sam's said before no PDA, especially in school. But I can't help myself sometimes. She's so warm, she's wearing my sweater today, her favorite of my wardrobe. God, I love it on her. It's so hot seeing the person you love the most wearing something of yours. I would take her into the bathroom right now if I didn't have to drive everyone home. I pull myself back, making myself wait.