Sam Fraser Part 13

I started pacing the parking lot of The Corner, Simon leaning up against the brick wall, watching me panic.

The night before, Dad stopped me outside my bedroom just before I was turning in.

"Hey, do you have plans with friends tomorrow?" Dad nervously asked me.

"Uh, no, I don't think so. I could double check with Deena though."

"Actually, well, I was gonna ask if you wanted to get dinner tomorrow. We haven't been just the two of us in forever, huh?" After he said that, it clicked. Once he told me 'Goodnight' I called Simon, Simon called Kate, and I called Deena.

...

"Let's take five, dude. What if we sit and just chill out, okay?" Simon made space for me on the brick wall and waited for me to sit.

"I'm sorry. I'm just worried that it won't work." He rubbed my back as I calmed down.

"Am I not boyfriend material?" Simon said while flaunting himself to me. I laughed and shook my head. "No it's not that. I mean, what if  we do this, right, but they still find out about me and Deena?"

Simon slumped down to my level and let my words sink in.

"Well what do I know? I'm just me. But, hey, dude,  don't let your fear of your parents stand in the way of something great. You know?" He smiled and nodded at me as headlights blinded us. The car shuts off, and Deena and Kate come out of it and walk towards us.

"What is happening here?" Kate said with her hands on her hips.

"Giving Sam a little pep talk." Simon said, standing.

"Is everything okay?" Deena asked, coming closer my way.

"I'm fine, really. Let's go in." I said.

Simon and I sat in a corner booth, Deena and Kate in a two seat booth diagonal from where we're sitting. They were far enough that my dad wouldn't recognize them or ask questions. Simon played with the silverware, and my leg shook the table because of how worried I was.

"Is there an earthquake happening?" He asked, laughing at his own joke. Then, the bell above the door to the diner rung and Dad walked in.

"Dude, shh." I said under my breath to Simon. Dad and I made eye contact and he smiled and walked our way. He slid into the booth across from us and nodded at Simon.

"Hey, I don't believe we've met. I'm Sam's dad." Dad waited for Simon to introduce himself while he was taking a deep sip of water. Simon chugged the sip down and wiped his mouth.

"Simon... Kalivoda." He quickly extended his hand, bumping the table and shaking the glass of waters and silverware in the process. I tried hard not to cringe.

"Oh, you're one of Sam's friends. It's good to meet you, Simon."

"Actually, I'm Sam's boyfriend." Simon looked at me for approval. I nodded slightly, nudging my head to Dad when Simon looked back at him.

"Oh, okay. You didn't tell me you were dating." Dad looked at me suspiciously.

"Well, I had to tell you sometime. I thought tonight was a good time to share the news." Dad stayed quiet for a moment, tearing little bits of the paper napkins on the table.

"What's wrong?" I said, wanting the silence to be over.

"Nothing, nothing." He exhales deeply, a light in his eyes.

"No, what is it?" I insist.

"It's fine, let's leave it." He said, looking behind him at the door. "Have you ordered yet?"