Deena Johnson Part 1

For context since my first chapter didn't have ANY, this story of Sam and Deena takes place a year before 1994, so 1993. So assuming '94 is their Senior Year, 1993, which is when my version of the story takes place is when they're Juniors. I'm just assuming given the timeline of Sam and Deena's relationship, that they were together for a while throughout the late school year and then part of summer, but then broke up mid summer due to causes that I will discuss later, and that's when 1994 takes place.

 But for now enjoy the story!

Deena POV

GRAB&BAG

I play with Simon's register scanner, pointing the cursor at Kate's forehead as she talks to herself on rhythm with her silent clapping. Kate's the Head Cheerleader, so it's her job to come up with new chants for Cheerleading Squad to do during games to keep the energy up.

"What about, 'Come on Witches we can do it, don't be scared, put your back into it!' How was that?" Kate asks.

Simon comes back with a box and restocks the gum and candy.

"That was awful!" He laughs out. " It sounds like one of the saying-things to get little kids' attention." Simon claps his hands once, then another, then three times in a row. "You're better than this, Kate."

"I know, it's just-- it feels like if I don't get this chant right, Senior year next year is OVER. Like if this isn't perfect, then everything else ahead of me will crumble down." She sighs and composes herself. " Anyway, Deena, what did you think of it?"

"Thought it was too peppy." I aim the scanner at Simon's back tracing it all over.

"We're cheerleaders. Our job is to BE peppy. What, do you want us to do? Slug around like zombies telling people to get hyped, no ,duh. God, it's like you two want me to fail."

Simon and I look at each other and smirk, bursting into a small laughter.

"Y'all are assholes." Kate says, erasing half the page in her notebook full of shit chants.

"What if you rhyme Witch with Bitch? I think that's more catchy and way less sounding like you have a stick up your ass." I scan Kate's head again and she slaps the scanner away.

"Absolutely not, Deena." Kate sighs and Simon turns around, jumping to sit on the conveyor belt and grabs her shoulder to get her attention.

"Kate, all you have to do is scream 'SCREW THE DEVILS' and the crowd is all yours. Like literally,  all I have to do is have my sexy green witchy paint, my broomstick, and my cape and hat, and the field is my oyster. It's so simple, keep it simple. You're stressing out over A CHANT. You're probably not gonna remember this ten years from now. Think about it, you, 28 and still as lovely as ever, in your corporate ass job, you're like a CEO of something, I don't know, I'm just your janitor you hired out of sympathy, but WHO CARES? OK, SO-- you're in your office and you think back to high school and how freaked out you were about this chant, and you just laugh. You laugh because you realize how RIDICULOUS it is to sweat over a chant for a high school football team. Just come up with something stupid, and boom-bam, you're done. Move on"

I look at Kate and nod.

"He's right." I say.

Kate hates when someone else is more reasonable than her, but she confides.

"I guess so." She crosses her arms as Simon pokes her shoulder to bug her.

"I should be Head Cheerleader, I am a genius." Simon says so sarcastically he seems a little serious.