Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Austin Archangel's eyes widened.

And then he blinked five times in rapid succession.

"You... want me to kiss you?" he asked, his voice lower than usual. I watched as his Adam's apple moved up and down. And as he brushed his fingers through his hair—his hand was slightly shaking as he did so.

"Yes," I replied. "Wala ka bang dalang toothbrush?" I asked. "We have spare toothbrush," I offered dahil may spare naman talaga na toothbrush sa bahay namin. Iyong isang box ay nasa storage area, pero mayroong stock ng twenty unused toothbrush sa buong bahay—mayroong five per bathroom.

"No," he replied. "I have my toothbrush in my car."

"Okay," I said. "Do you not want to kiss me?" I asked dahil kung ayaw niya ay hindi ko naman siya pipilitin... Although that would cause confusion on my part dahil gusto niya akong maging girlfriend, pero ayaw niya akong halikan? Hindi ba iyon ang ginagawa ng mga girlfriend at boyfriend sa mga movies na pinapa-nood ko at sa mga libro na binabasa ko?

Austin Archangel pressed his lips together. Humugot siya ng malalim na hininga. Ipinatong niya sa lamesa iyong kamay niya. I saw him tap his fingers against the table—mas mabilis iyong pagtap ng mga daliri niya ngayon kumpara sa normal na ginagawa niya.

"Of course I want to kiss you."

"Okay. Let's kiss," I said.

He blinked. "Here? Right now?"

Itinuro ko iyong loob ng bahay namin. "You have to brush your teeth first," sabi ko. Tumayo rin ako dahil kailangan ko ring magtoothbrush. Naglakad ako papasok sa loob. Muli kong itinuro kay Austin Archangel kung nasaan iyong CR kung saan pwede siyang magtoothbrush. Umakyat ako sa kwarto ko at nagtoothbrush sa CR. I brushed my teeth twice, just to be sure. I also gargled and flossed.

Pagbaba ko, I asked Ate Gina kung nasaan si Austin Archangel, pero sinabi niya na nasa labas pa raw. Lumabas din ako. I saw him standing beside his car. I walked up to him.

"Hindi mo ba dala? You can ask Ate Gina for a spare," I said.

Hindi siya nagsalita. He nervously licked his lower lips, and then sighed. "Look, Karaminah Viel, I would love to kiss you... really," he said, seryoso iyong tono ng boses niya. "But I don't want to kiss you in your house."

"We can kiss here," I offered.

He ran his fingers through his hair again. "No, not that. I mean, your parents trusted me and I feel like it'll be a betrayal of their trust if we kiss tonight? While we're still just friends? Do you understand?"

"But I need to kiss you to help me decide."

"Decide to?"

"If I'll let you court me."

"Is that really needed?"

I shrugged. "I read a book and the character described this thing called 'sparks,'" I told him. "I was just wondering kung mararamdaman ko rin ba iyon kapag hinalikan mo ako."

He slowly nodded. "Okay..." he replied. Sumandal siya sa sasakyan niya. "I know I told you that I like you the way the male lead likes the female lead... but I feel like if you'll compare us to the books and the movies, we'll fall short. And I'll try to live up to that, but it's fiction... And I just don't want you to be disappointed."

Naka-tingin ako sa kanya.

"I don't know if you'll feel the sparks. I'm actually afraid to kiss you now because what if you don't feel the sparks? You'll just say no?"