Chapter 53

Chapter 53

It was Saturday, and Austin was invited by my parents to have lunch in our house. Austin initially agreed, but had to cancel the last minute because he had a function he needed to attend. He kept on apologizing to me. I kept on telling him that it was okay. It was his work. I understood that that comes first.

"Karaminah," Mama said.

Tumingin ako sa kanya. "Yes?" I replied. Nasa dining room kami at kumakain ng pagkain. There were lots of food na inihanda dahil sa pagpunta sana ni Austin dito. Maybe I should message Dominic para sabihin na maraming pagkain dito—he loved Ate Gina's food.

"I read some things on the Internet," she said.

"You read on gossip sites?" I asked because that was rather unexpected. My mother would be the last person I'd think na nagbabasa sa ganong site. Growing up, she was more interested on reading journals and research.

"No, of course not," she replied. "Jackie, my paralegal, you remember her?" she asked, and I nodded. "Told me about the news circulating around the Internet nowadays."

I nodded.

"So, I just want to ask—are you okay?" Napa-tingin si Papa sa kanya tapos ay sa akin. Mama was just looking at me. "Stop staring at me," sabi niya kay Papa na hindi huminto at naka-tingin pa rin sa kanya.

"I'm okay," I said.

Dominic was right—there were lots of voices, but I needed to listen only to those who matter. Dominic, Ate Gina, Kuya Robert, and Austin all told me that I was not creepy and weird. I should believe them kaysa sa mga tao na hindi naman ako kilala.

"Okay," Mama replied.

"But thank you for asking," I said. Before, I did not like it when people would repeatedly ask me if I was okay... but I was fine with it now. They're just worried about me. I should be happy that people cared enough to be worried.

After that lunch, I played with Blue and BV outside. Tapos ay bumalik na ako sa kwarto ko. I continued my research tungkol sa kung saang crocheting class ako mag-eenroll. Ngayon na hindi na ako pwedeng manood sa shooting, I had more time on my hands. I needed to be busy.

At 2:30PM, nagtext si Austin at sinabi sa akin na tapos na raw iyong function na pinuntahan niya. He also asked me kung free ba ako at pwede ba siyang pumunta sa amin. I told him yes, and also said na mayroon pang pagkain na natira, if he was interested in that.

"Hi," I said when he arrived five minutes after 3PM.

"Hi," he replied with a smile.

Pagpasok namin sa labas ay nagbigay siya kay Ate Gina ng pandesal. My parents went to a meeting. Austin apologized again, but I just assured him again that it was fine. Growing up, my parents would always cancel on me dahil sa trabaho nila. It was okay because it's work. It was not like they just decided that they wanted to abandon me.

"Thank you po," Austin said nang maupo siya sa may dining room. Iniwan na kami nila Ate Gina at nagsabi na nandoon lang sila sa may bahay nila sa likuran kung may kailangan kami.

"Did your parents say something?"

"About what?"

"Me cancelling," he replied. "You prepared a lot of food."

I nodded. "I'll text Dominic kung gusto niyang kumuha ng pagkain," sabi ko. Austin nodded and then continued to eat. "Wala namang sinabi sila Mama."

He nodded. "There was an ambassador who arrived and we were invited to the welcome party," he said.

"That's work?"