Chapter 60

Chapter 60

There were two graduations—one for the college and one for the university. I attended the college graduation with my family and Austin. The ceremony went as stated on the program given to us. Kaka-tapos lang nung graduation at nasa labas na kami. Ate Gina was the one holding the camera and instructing us kung ano ang gagawin namin. There was a photo with me and my parents, with me and Ate Gina and Kuya Robert, with me and my parents and Ate Gina and Kuya Robert, with everyone, and finally, with Austin and me.

I was wearing a white modern Filipiniana dress, a sablay on my shoulders, and white ballet flats. Ate Gina ironed my hair ealier and put a sunflower hairclip on the side. Austin was wearing a navy blue denim pants, white polo that was folded up until the middle of his arms, and derby shoes.

"Wag ka ng mahiya—akbayan mo na," Kuya Robert said while Austin and I were posing for a picture. Austin did not move. "Karma, ikaw na nga umakbay d'yan sa boyfriend mo."

"Hindi ko abot," sagot ko.

"Aalis muna kami para 'di kayo mahiya. Magkita na lang tayo sa resto," Papa said tapos ay nagpaalam sila pagkatapos sabihin na maghihintay sila sa sasakyan para kina Kuya Robert.

"Oh, akbay na," Kuya Robert said.

I looked at Austin and he was already looking at me. And then I felt his arm on my shoulder. "Happy graduation," he said.

"Thank you," I replied, still looking at him nang maka-rinig kami ng flash mula sa camera ni Ate Gina.

The pictorial continued against my desire. After ten more poses, natapos na kami. Pumunta na sila Ate Gina sa parking habang kami naman ni Austin ay sa kabilang parking. He arrived late before of work kaya sa ibang lugar siya nagpark.

"You finally graduated," he said while we were walking.

"I graduated last January pa."

"I mean the ceremony."

"Right," I replied. "I guess you're right."

"Have you finished packing?" he asked.

His parents were not delighted when Austin announced that I would be moving in with him. I still remembered how Psalm choked on the chicken he was eating nang sabihin iyon ni Austin. He looked so surprised while Saint just high-fived Austin.

They asked me if I was sure that I wanted to live with Austin kahit hindi kami kasal. I said I was sure. That was the end of discussion about it. We ended up in Tagaytay with Austin's brothers and some of his cousins. It was fun, but tiring. I slept the whole day next day.

"Yes," I said.

"Should we hire a moving truck?"

"I think mas maganda if I would move gradually."

"Okay," he replied. "The walk-in closet's already done," he added. There were two rooms in his condo—one was his room and the other one was supposed to be his work area. But since I was moving in, iyong work area ay magiging walk-in closet para doon ilalagay iyong mga gamit namin. I guess we'd just work in the sala. The couch was very comfortable, anyway.

"Tapos na rin iyong bahay nila Ate Gina," I said, and then we talked about what we would give them as a housewarming gift. Today was Ate Gina and Kuya Robert's last day in the house. Aalis na rin sila bukas. They really just waited for my graduation.

I would really miss them.

"This feels like the end of an era," I told Austin. "I'm moving. They're moving."