Chapter 2

Sebastian

I couldn't wait for the sun to go down. A little sunshine wouldn't do any damage but this wasn't  the moment to have to need more blood than regularly. The close quarters suffocated me. I really started to worry about that rug in living room. It was a nice one. It didn't help that William was annoying as hell.  Deep down I knew he was right about the book, but I had to be sure.  I needed to find out exactly how much that Ashley Smith knew, so the logical move was to find her editor because I knew publishers were really good at keeping their writers true identity a secret. Editors, not so much. He should know her real name. since I lived in London as well, it wouldn't be difficult to find her after that.

I ran to the town trying to keep normal pace. It wasn't so late and there were still people on the streets. I usually do this when innocent world go to sleep, but no tonight.

 It was hard to look normal. Every day we had to be very careful how we look to others, in which speed should we move not to attract any suspicion.  So when I announced I wanted to ski jump, you could imagine the war at home. But that was my decision and as long as I didn't risk the discovery of our existence everything was good. I wasn't even the best. I didn't want to be. I just liked the feeling. The competitions, the  spirit of people who came and watched us. It was a wonderful  thing.

I didn't mean to go there, but I found myself at the same spot as few weeks ago when I first spotted the bookstore. The book with dark blue cover became my obsession, since then.

Right in front of the glass window stood a girl. She was so lost in thoughts she didn't see me. It was hard not to notice me because of my height. She was so looked in something and I was sure it was the same book that was giving me a headache.

She was short, I noticed. If I stood close to her she would barely reached my shoulders. Her hair was light brown, with a lot of red as well. I didn't know if the humans saw that too. Their eyes were different.

She was also young, maybe pushing twenty, and very crazy, because she started kicking the window.

I should have not interfered, but I did.

"Hey, hey, stop", I yelled. "Are you insane?"

She continued like she didn't hear me. She started punching the glass with her hands.

"Stop!" I said one more time and grabbed her by the waist to move her to the safe distance from the window.

"What are you doing, you idiot?" she tilted her head back so she can look at me. Girl was fuming with rage, and now I was interested why.

"What am I doing? I am not attacking the window, lady, you are. "

"Oh", she murmured , "I-, stupid book"

"What did you say?"

"Nothing. Are you going to call the police?" She crossed her arms. She was still angry at something ore someone, but I could see her sanity was coming back.

I laughed. "Why would I do that?"

"Yeah, you are right.  Good night." She started to walk away.

Like the man obsessed, I grabbed her hand. "Wait!"

What are you doing you fool, you have to find an editor. But I didn't listen to the reasoning voice in my head.

"Don't tell me, you are the cop?" For the first time, beside the rage I could see something else in her green, so very green eyes. It was pain. The king of you keep just for yourself. Suddenly I wanted to take it away.

Wait, what was that?

"No, I am not."

"Then goodbye."

But I didn't let her go.

"Are you nuts, let go of my hand."

But I just stood there, looking at her. She was truly beautiful, even in tracksuit and high ponytail.

Her words reminded me that I am still holding her.

"Please", she sounded sure, but I could sense her fear. I knew what impression I gave.

"Sorry. But don't go, I am really intrigued."  I tried not to make any sudden movements. I didn't want to scare her further.

"I won't hurt you."

While she looked at me trying to decide whether I was honest, I take a really good look of her.

She was not a classic beauty. Too big eyes, small nose, wide face. But combined...  Ivory skin. She was almost as pale as I . I chuckled at my thought.

What's funny? Do I have something on my face?, she asked but not look concerned about it.

"No, you don't. Listen, I would like to have a cup of coffee. Would you join me? "

"At this hour?" She looked at her watch. "It is almost ten."

"Who is going to stop us? Do you have to be in bed right now?", I teased.

She looked at me and i could see she decided.

"Let's go."