Chapter 21

Amanda

"I understand you Bastian, I really do, last night was the worst night of my life, but we can't just go into hiding." I was watching his reflection in the mirror, he looked well, healthy, alive, but I couldn't shake away the image of him all bloody and cold. Now, he was lying in the bed, under the covers, while I was dressing.

"Where are you going?" He asked confused by my fast movements around the room.

"To the police of course, we can't just sit and do nothing. We can't let him hurt more people. You are vampire and you barely survived." I looked for my bag, and I found it on the floor with some blood on it. I took my wallet out of it. I will need some identification at the station.

"I already told you, you can't go there. It is our jurisdiction." His voice was full of uncertainty.

"Well I don't see them doing wonders here." I was fully dressed by that moment and heading to the door. I manage to made one, no, correct that, half a step before I had Bastian standing in my way. Naked as the day he was born.

"Move, I need to go." I didn't know where this sudden commission to tell someone what is happening came from, but I had to get out. Go somewhere.

Bastian just stood like a wall in front of me with no intention of moving. I knew that my every move would be pointless. Regardless I hit him in the chest twice out of frustration. He caught my wrists in his hands. "You will only hurt yourself, stop." He sounded concerned, maybe scared. Why would he be scared?

I looked at his face, he never looked taller to me." Why won't you let me go?" I almost pleaded.

"Can we just sit?", he asked, and I nodded. What other choice I had?

He walked us in the bedroom again, and put his boxers and shirt on. "I will make us some tea, ok?" I nodded again.

I looked around his small living room. This place was made for one person, it was a lot smaller than his house in London. I learned a thing about him then. He was modest. He could afford much bigger apartment, but he didn't. This was enough for him. And I realized it was enough for us too.

He came with two cups with steamy hot tea inside. I recognized the smell. Chamomile.

The funny thing was, I didn't have the urge to run any more. What a difference few moments of time make.

"I asked you once, would you run. And you ran." He sounded hurt.

I am sorry, I don't know what came over me. I just panicked. Everything that happened, everything that is happening, it's too much for me, I guess. I feel like I am running in the wrong discipline, way ahead of mine.

"Are you afraid of me? I promise I would not take your blood again."

"Oh, no no no no, Bastian", I moved on the sofa, so I can touch his face. Never that. I told you already. He kissed my palm and rested his cheek on it.

You said last night was the worst of your life. But mine wasn't, it was one of the best. I hope you don't regret it.

So he was afraid of that. I don't. It was... well I don't have anything to compare it to, but it was wonderful. You were wonderful.

"I am happy. I am really happy despite everything and I can't watch you leave."

"I won't leave you, you stupid man." I kissed him making a point.

"We need to do something about this. Do your enforcements even know what is happening here? Is there some number we can call them on?"

"I will take care of that, but I was serious. We need to go. We can't stay here. What do you say, will you run away with me?"