Chapter 3

Sebastian

She was silent during our walk there and she was looking at me most of the time. Like she suddenly knew me. It was disturbing.

We sat and despite what she said about being too late for coffee, she ordered strong.

"I'm trying to stop drinking so much. It's a bad habit." She said like she knew what I was thinking . "It's a drug."

I was trying to put my paranoia in the back of my mind.

"Well", she said, "I can at least introduce myself to the man that is buying me drugs. I'm Amanda"

"I'm Bastian, well, Sebastian, but prefer first one."

"I knew it. I know you." She jumped in the seat suddenly excited.

I was shocked. "What?"

"You are that jumper!" she smiled. 

"You watch that?" I was surprised, she was a girl after all.  Tennis, volleyball, but ski-jumping. Stereotypical, I know, but...

"Sometimes, I am not some crazy fan, but I watch enough to know you. You could easily win last season. What happened?"

"I just fell." The truth was, I had panic attack.

"I'm sorry", she said and really mean that.

"No big deal. Now would you tell me why were you kicking that window? What is its fault? Why are you angry?"

"I'm not", she said. Obviously she didn't want to talk.  

"Ok, not angry. You were sad." Why was I pushing it, she would just run away.

"Why are you in London, Bastian? I know so little about you." She suddenly made this about me. But I let her.

"I live here. Almost all my life." A lie. For me just a fragment of time. 15 years.

"Why aren't you training? You have to win this year."

"Are you my fan?" I teased hoping for red face.

"Yes", she wasn't uncomfortable about that.

"Well, have a little faith in me."

"Ok, I'll even bet, do don't disappoint me."

"I won't."

Our conversation sounded a little strange and we fell silent.

"Why wont you answer me", I asked her. "I can keep a secret", I try to lighten the mood.

"Look it isn't that important. If I start to talk it will cause two things. One I will bore you to death, and you will regret asking me to have coffee and even breathing my way. Second I will start to cry, and I don't want you to see me cry. We are at the public place and I don't even know you. And now you think I'm crazy."

"It' really nothing, just bad day", she said before her phone vibrated on the table.

"Shit", she cursed, but apologized, "I'm so screwed, she whispered before answering.

I knew it wasn't polite to eavesdrop but I couldn't resist.

The women at the other side of the line was upset. Where are you? It was so rude what you did Amanda Ashley Smith. To walk away like that. Come home immediately! She didn't even wait for answer. She just hanged up.

But I was one in shock. It was impossible. I didn't even have time to question her. She already stood up. "Thanks for the coffee."

 She leaned across the table, and whispered in my ear: "it was nice to meet you Bastian Degremont." Then she turned her head to my face touching me with her cold little nose in the way. And then she did unexpected. She pecked me on the lips, just for a brief moment.

"Its for good luck", she explained when she saw my stunned face.

And just like that she walked out of the door, and I sat there silently like a moron. And then I remembered what I heard. My hearing was perfect. Amanda's middle name was Ashley. And...

I didn't believe in coincidence. I knew she was watching that book. She was the author.

But it was so crazy.  She didn't match the profile. I imagined William asking what profile. Was there any for writers of vampire romance novels?

 I expected someone older. More mature. She couldn't be more than 20. And to write like that... She was good, I have to admit.  

I was confused. Did she knew I was running on that path almost every night? Was she waiting? was everything just an act? Was she a hunter, or was my mind playing with me? Somebody just maybe spilled the beans to her.

I knew one thing. I was going to find out. No matter what.

Now I prayed that she knew nothing. That she was innocent. Because. I really didn't want to kill her.