Chapter 5

Damon

I would have given anything to hear Maddie's thoughts while we were driving to Oxford that morning. I caught a few glances here and there. She was watching me with wonder and saddens.

I was wondering if she was mad at me for not supporting her. I knew i should have now. What was going on in her head? I was tortured by that look because i knew she didn't want to be here. To study medicine which she hated.  But I wanted her to fight because I couldn't fight for her.

"Watch it Amanda!" I told her when she accidentally pushed me and made me drop the box. But as if she didn't hear me she continued looking at the distance. There was no one there this early in the morning. I picked up stuff which have fallen out of the box and gave the box to her.

"Come with me", I told her, taking one of the heavier boxes, and leading the way. I knew where her room was. I wasn't proud of my knowledge how almost every room on the campus looked. I pushed that not so happy thoughts away, I didn't even want to think about that with Maddie around. Thank god she didn't know about my behavior. I wouldn't have guts to look her in the eyes if she did. She was such an innocent young woman.

I wasn't surprised to see Kelly's name on the dorm's door. I heard from her few days before that her father pulled some connections for them to be together. No one could say no to General Mackellar. Having such a high rank meant power and respect.

Amanda obviously had no idea about that and she looked as she could burst from happiness. Room was unlocked as Kelly was already there. She came straight here, not returning home. With wide smile she ran to us, not even letting us put the boxes down.

"I've missed you guys sooooo much", she said with almost singing voice. Luckily she knew how to sing, which I couldn't say for my sister.

I soon left them alone and went to my room to meet my new roommate. I didn't have problem with whom I was going to live. I get along with almost everyone. I knew what they thought an behaved in accordance to that.  Besides, it's not like I spent much time in the dorm.

I saw that my new roommate wasn't there yet. I fell on the bed and enjoyed silence. I had my I pod prepared for the times when I can't  shut the voices.

Just one more year. And then it will be better. It has to be.

Amanda

Classes haven't started before Wednesday and I spent that time doing absolutely nothing. Kelly and I watched films and we took long walks through the campus. Oxford was truly amazing. It was a shame I didn't like what I was going to study. Kelly on the other hand was thrilled. She liked biology all her life. She also had supporting parents. I didn't see her dad insisting that she go to military school.

I confessed everything to her. She wasn't mad but curious. She said that she never pegged me for person who likes to write. Was I that unreadable?

I also told her about Sebastian. I admitted that I like him. He was constantly on my mind even though I knew it was crazy and inutile because I was never going to see him again. I convinced myself that I didn't see him other day so I didn't mention that to Kelly either. It would be too much coincidence for that to happen.

My mind continued to play tricks with me.

It was two days after my lectures started. I was having anatomy class. One of the most important classes for medical students in all our schooling. I took a seat in the end of the room because I lost track of time and arrived late. The guy beside me informed me that an old professor retired. I couldn't care less who teaches me.  

And then I saw the new professor in question. He looked nothing like the first time I met him. He wore a suit, that I could only call professor suit. It was freaking tweed jacket which he took off and now stood in dark blue button-down. His eyes were hidden behind glasses. For a moment i couldn't breathe. The guy I was talking to asked me if I was ok but I couldn't form the words. I just nodded. It isn't him I told my mind. Stop playing with me.