Prologue

Oh she wasn't any ordinary feline.

Yes, she had a cute face, perfect calico fur coat, and pussy paws.

But, she also had sharp amber eyes, a tough masculine look that caused her to be misgendered multiple times, and the ability to control her qi at times.

She was born like any other felines, she loved yarn balls and she admired Momo the Cat from Magic Cat Academy, a quite popular game in the Doodle world. She was just so keen on Momo's magic ability against haunting ghosts, which she didn't have, so she practiced qi control instead. It worked out well on her, better than she thought when other cats complimented her on how she was almost like a ghost as she turned invisible, or when she saw their shocked faces as she braced herself into the water with only a pair of goggles on.

Though... There's always a downside to everything. Hers was becoming too masculine.

She had to practice hard in other to control qi, you see. From normal workouts, she went to the gym and learned karate. She tested herself by climbing to the top of a local mountain with almost no tools and stayed, trying to breathe with so little oxygen there. Sometimes she was caught running around town for what seemed like hours, and so forth.

There were periods when she was so tired, she was about to give in. There were moments she heard other cats talking behind her about how stupid she was to give up her femininity for something impossible. However, she kept going, knowing that there was no way to turn back anyway. She'd gone too far ahead.

At some point, she began her interest in sports, whether it's old-fashioned, newly-imported or street sports, she took part in everything. Only then had they realized her hard work had really paid off. She had become a strong athlete, both thanks to her body built from intensive training and her now amazing ability to control qi.

Soon she won every local contest. Not only that, but she was also glad to use her ability to help others out. They loved her, and she was happy that she managed to accomplish something that counts, like her idol.

Everyone living in that area knew her by the simple name "Lucky the Cat", but with the image of a young feline having a big, bright, burning heart. Creatures from afar that happened to pass by and heard about Lucky's story insisted her on taking an adventure, out of town, out of home's safety and testing herself in the trials of the world out there.

Lucky spent days, maybe months pondering on her options. Setting off did sound fun and challenging, which she didn't mind, but that also meant she had to leave everything else behind: her family, her friends, her childhood town that carried so many memories, the creatures that she still wanted to help out because she knew they needed that and... a little feeling there deep in her heart that she couldn't explain.

————————

Lucky was lying awake, staring at the plain ceiling illuminated by the full moonlight. She turned to her side to see a cupboard full of medals and trophies, and a big box that she used as a sports equipment storage instead of a cuddling spot, then unconsciously sighed.

"Do I really want to go..?" she quietly asked herself.

More to achieve, more to explore about everything and herself, but at the same time leaving all that she was familiar with? That's quite a price.

Lucky got up, unable to sleep contradicted a cat's nature, then again, she was out of the norm ever since she attempted to learn about qi.

She climbed through the circular window of her room onto the roof and sat there, letting herself taken by the peaceful view of her lovely town at night when everyone was sound in their own dreams. The lanterns shined dimly at each corner of the streets. The moonlight on the majestic night sky coated the town with a mysterious beauty. Breezy winds blew hard here on the roof so Lucky brought her lower limbs closer to her chest, her elbows rested on her knees and her chin in her paws as she closed her eyes, letting her body enveloped in the arms of nature.

Lucky only opened her eyes when she felt something on her nose. It's a cherry blossom petal.

She stared at it longingly, knowing that it wasn't from this town, before a wind carried it away again. She looked up and noticed that the position of the moon had changed since she came here, meaning that she'd felt asleep for a while and slightly giggled to herself.

Her amber eyes followed the petal until it was just a dot in the distance, then finally disappeared. Lucky wanted to travel, just like that petal. Freely.

"Should I..?"

"I think you should go, Lucky."

Came a voice from behind her. Bells, a sibling approached. She had a slim body that fitted perfectly in her white sleeping dress, making her look somewhat older than her actual age. Bright green eyes looked at her ever-so-gently. A gold bell jingled on her necklace.

"I don't know, nee-chan. I really do but..."

"But what?" Bells tilted her head, "What's been bothering you that it took so long to decide?"

"I just don't feel like I should leave. Everything I know, and everyone I love... it's all here in this little town. And I just think I haven't done much."

"Like?"

Lucky opened her mouth to answer but couldn't find any, so she closed it defeatedly.

"See? And sometimes, you've just gotta leave your safety zone, like you did back when you were determined to achieve qi control." Bells gave Lucky a side hug, "You said it yourself, this town is small, and a talented cat like you should be out there traveling, not stuck here. Come on, Luck, just think back how far you've gone since that little pussycat. Now you're the strongest known in town!"

Lucky looked at the town. I did give up my femininity for my ability. From her house, the mountain looked so small on the horizon, but she knew that wasn't it. The world's big. And I just have no idea where to start, where to go... What if I cannot find my way back here?

"If you're still pondering," Bells said as if she could read Lucky's thoughts, "Don't be afraid. I've never been out of town before but I know for someone like you, the stars will guide you. Gaze at the sky and give them your earnest wish, the universe will answer your call and lead you to where your dream can be found. And if you happen to be homesick, and once you've really challenged the world out there with the best of you, they'll guide you back home. Your heart can be the greatest pointer! Give it some faith, would you?"

Bells chuckled as she took out a little silver bell on a string and shoved it into Lucky's paws, "We'll always welcome you, and remember you. Keep this for good luck, from me, and be a champion before trying to return alright."

"Thank you, nee-chan," Lucky softly said, smiling at her dear sister, "I'll go."

"Great you decided! Aaaaaannddd I also have an idea about your next target."

"What is it? What is it?" Lucky excitedly asked.

"Here." Bells handed her an old-papered scroll, "I bumped into a traveling athlete earlier and he insisted you take on the Doodle Championship. It's once every four years, at a place called Champion Island. You have to win against seven local champions of seven sports, and they said no one has ever achieved that."

"Then I'll be the first!" Lucky stood up and raise a fist.

"That's the spirit! Oh, and I also heard there's a lot of interesting things on that island, like some of them have magic and stuff."

"Really!?? Then I'll have to start a new training session! This one's in a month, still time for that." Lucky put away the scroll and tackled Bells into a hug. "Thank you for encouraging me, nee-chan. I'll leave by dawn."

"So early?"

"It's the perfect time for a new training routine, plus leave me no time to rethink. See you again soon, nee-chan. Tell mom, dad and the others for me too!"

With that, Lucky climbed back to her room by the window and packed.

By tomorrow morning, Lucky the Cat was already out of town, taking on her new journey.

———///———