An Apology

When Tommy was elected, Kate was waiting at the bottom of the stairs with the twins. Jack was resting on her hip and Henry was in his pram. As much as she hoped Tommy would forgo the parliament seat, there was excitement in the air.

She could hear his name being announced and she beamed. "You hear that?" She murmured to Jack who was just six months. "Daddy won."

The twins were an absolute joy and the apple of her eye. They were not identical, which was a relief. Kate had been worried she wouldn't be able to tell her own sons apart. But instead, Jack was taking more after his father. He had striking blue eyes that were like a faded morning sky. Enchanting but bright and cheerful. He had a head full of dark hair with a small wave to it. Henry had similar eyes to his brother but a little darker, more like a sapphire under a beam of light. He had white-blond hair, just as Kate had when she was a baby. His hair was thin but beautiful. He looked like a little cherub.

Their personalities varied as well. Jack was boisterous and always needed to be moving. He was showing signs of crawling already. Henry, was more attached to his parents. It broke Kate's heart when she set him down and he fussed up a storm. Polly urged her to let him soothe himself.

Bless Polly. Without her, Kate knew she'd be lost. She'd worried so often about not having that maternal instinct. But Polly assured her she would be fine and was there to help in any way she could. In a way, it felt like Kate was unearthing something inside of her that she never thought she would see.

From the first moment she held her sons, she felt that part of her click into place. With Polly's guidance, Kate felt like a pro.

Tommy and the others came out with triumphant smiles. His eyes softened when he saw his wife and children waiting for him.

Jack squealed when he saw his father. He reached out, squirming in Kate's arms.

"Congratulations," Kate murmured and kissed Tommy softly.

He took Jack from her and held him close. "Want to go home, aye?" He asked.

"I think that's a great idea." Kate agreed.

~~~~~~~~

"Tommy Shelby, OBE MP."

"Alfie." It was strange. Well, strange wasn't the right word. Other-wordly was better. The first time the two met, Tommy was sitting in Alfie's office next to Kate. Bruised, beaten, and bloody, he stared down the barrel of Alfie's gun with ease.

When the gun was pulled from the drawer, Tommy heard a click next to him. Still a little dazed from the injuries, his eyes moved to the side to see Kate pointing a gun at Alfie.

The woman he had used and manipulated was willing to kill a powerful gangster for him. The woman he wanted but didn't deserve.

Now he was helping her out of the car. One of his sons sleeping against her shoulder.

Alfie was waiting at the gate. Mabel was coming out of the beachside estate.

Both gangsters had a vulnerable side. A side that manifested as women they loved dearly. It was a risk, exposing those vulnerabilities. But Tommy could trust few people. Few people had left the game. Alfie had left the game.

"Now a father, aye?" Alfie opened the latch of the gate as an invitation. Cyril came bounding out to greet Tommy.

"Hello, Cyril." He gave the massive dog a pat.