Twisted

82 Boulevard de Clichy

Paris, France

1919

The Moulin Rouge.

            The city of love. A city of lights and illusions. A city where one could lose sight of their troubles. A city where one could hide in plain sight.

            "Monsieur Shelby!" A plump man with a red face greeted the men at the door. He was dressed in a scarlet-colored suit and Tommy couldn't help but think how the man would stick out like a sore thumb in Birmingham. But in Paris, he fit in like he was one of the landmarks. "Bonjour, bonjour, welcome to the Moulin Rouge."

            The Peaky Blinders were there for business. Not the cabaret, but Paris. A man had contacted Tommy some time ago, asking to negotiate about importing car parts and subsequently firearms with a little bit of cocaine to sweeten the deal.

            Conversations over the telephone were held until the man invited Tommy and his brothers to seal the deal in person. None of the Shelbys had been back in France since the War. It caused a knee-jerk reaction of disgust but it was a big deal that they couldn't pass up.

            Paris was nothing like the countryside they fought on. The city was electric and it was hard to believe the city had faced the same war only a few years prior.

            "There is a table upstairs for you, Monsieur Dugas is waiting." The man ushered the Blinders into the crowded venue. Tables crowded around a massive dance floor where a group of girls was putting on a show. Beautiful women wearing elaborate costumes covered in frills, gemstones, and feathers. Their outfits shimmered in the spotlights, a far cry from what would've been deemed appropriate only a few years ago. Shorthaired and hiking up their skirts, these girls captivated the audience, hypnotizing the men who dared glance their way. How could they look away from women dancing in such outfits?

            Arthur and John were positively chuffed at the display and jostled each other as they climbed the stairs to the second level. The promenade that overlooked the dance floor was a bit tamer. Tables were set up against the railing allowing people a good view of the stage below. A bit quieter than the main floor, it was the perfect place for their meeting.

            A man stood up when he saw the entourage approach. "Monsieur Shelby, thank you for joining me."

            "Mr. Dugas." Tommy nodded politely and shook hands with the businessman.

            "I trust you had a pleasant trip over from England?" The well-dressed man sat, gesturing for the rest to sit as well.

            John and Arthur took a seat, leaving Finn and Isaiah to stand as guard though the younger men were distracted by the women around them.

            Martin Dugas was a businessman to the core. Every drop of blood in his body was dedicated to the trade. Whether or not the things he did were legal wasn't the issue.

            A waiter arrived with an ice-cold bottle of champagne, letting Dugas inspect the label. "Gentlemen, champagne? Then we can talk business."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            A deal was settled within the hour. Although his brothers were keen to drink through the entire negotiation process, Tommy kept his wits about him. He wasn't going to let a wild environment and French champagne cloud his judgment. But once the deal was made, the two men shook hands to confirm. Contracts would be signed the next morning.

            Once the ink on the contract began to dry, Finn and Isaiah to go mingle with the entertainment. Tommy waved them off with his hand, letting them have their fun. He wasn't interested in the women at the cabaret, he was there purely on business and wasn't going to get caught up in the lights of the club.