My Worst Fear is Losing You

"There's news." Polly came into the betting shop. Kate was sitting in Polly's office, her feet kicked up as she snacked on some sweets that she knew was always hidden in the desk.

"News about what?"

"A potential plot to have Arthur killed. Tommy and the boys are meeting about it now."

"Something Luca plotted? Or another local?"

"Luca, as far as we know."

Kate sat up, slyly putting away the candy before Polly noticed she had been eating them. "Alright...so they're setting up a counter-attack?"

"Yes. In Artillery Square."

"When?"

"In an hour, so get up." Polly waved a hand at her.

"An hour?" Kate stood up. "Is that why Tommy didn't come home last night? Are you fucking kidding? Now he's keeping secrets from me when-"

"There's no time for arguing, just come with me."

Kate grabbed her coat off the back of the chair and followed Polly out of the office. "Where are we going?"

"You're going to the hospital, to stay with Michael while this all happens. I want to keep you safe with him."

~~~~~~~~~~

The hospital room wasn't an easy place to wait out in. Kate paced the floor, waiting for information about what happened at Artillery Square.

"Did Tommy call you? Tell you anything about this?"

Michael was sitting at the table that had a few bouquets decorating it. The flowers never wilted; Polly kept having them replaced. "No, I haven't heard from him."

"I just figured this would be something he would share with me." She muttered.

"I'm sure they had to put together a quick plan, Kate, it's nothing against you."

"I know these men better than Tommy does. I think it would be wise to trust me on these matters." She grumbled in discontent.

"Miss Lynch?" A nurse came in. "There's a telephone for you."

"Oh, thank you." Kate felt some relief, hoping it was news. She followed the nurse out of the hospital room and to the phone. She picked up the receiver. "Hello?" There was no answer on the other end of the line. "Hello? Tommy?"

Suddenly, someone placed a gloved hand over her mouth, and forcefully pulled her into the room behind her.

Kate wrestled for her gun in her holster but the man holding her back was too strong.

"Funny meeting you here, huh, Katie?"

The voice made her stomach turn but she continued to fight.

There was a click and Mickey pressed a gun under her chin. "If you scream, I'll put a bullet through your head."

Kate squeezed her eyes shut and prayed it was all a cruel nightmare. She nodded, hoping that when he let her go, she would wake up in Tommy's arms.

"Alright, that's a good girl."

The door opened and closed again, making Kate open her eyes. Another man came in.