Questions Answering Questions

Tommy was quite the picture sitting outside of a cafe. Sat at the small table, he was enjoying the Parisian sunlight while nursing an espresso and smoking. He stretched out his legs a bit to keep comfortable. Activity bustled around him, men in fine suits, women dressed in the highest fashion, and mothers lugging along crying children. The romantic allure of the French language enveloped him and strangely eased his tension.

Tommy assumed that coming to France would only trigger negative memories from the War. The rapid-fire foreign tongue that mixed with English in the trenches. The scent of their cigars. But the city was different enough to make him forget. Well, at least push the thought aside for a moment. He could never forget.

A bright lilac covered cloche hat caught his attention. Tommy didn't know whether the peacock feather stuck in the hat's band was real or not but it certainly looked the part. Tightly wound blonde curls peeked out from underneath the short brim of the hat.

Her blue eyes found his before he saw her hat. Kate walked towards him, maneuvering through the passing crowd. "Mr. Shelby," She greeted and plopped herself down at the cafe table across from him.

"You can call me Tommy." He replied.

I pegged you for more of a formal man." Kate dug into her black purse for her compact mirror and lipstick."

Tommy watched her pull out the mirror, a small disk embellished with emerald stones. Most likely they were fake, and some were missing from the circular pattern. Her lipstick was a dark red. She flipped open the compact mirror and began to apply it. He saw her eyes poking up above the edge of the silver-plated mirror. That's when he noticed the shadow under her right eye and the knot on her forehead. Injuries that certainly hadn't been there when they'd spoken the night before.

That morning, they had met in the lobby of the hotel the Peaky Blinders were staying in. Kate informed Tommy that she would be going to the Moulin Rouge to speak with her employer. He offered to go along with her but was turned down. Kate didn't trust the British man yet. There was no need for him to be involved with her resignation. Mostly because she knew it would be ugly. Her boss, not the owner of the club but the manager, had a strong temper and often lashed out at the women. Especially women who were trying to escape their lives of night entertainers.

"Who did that to you?" Tommy kept his tone even. He didn't want to make it a spectacle of pointing out her injuries, lest she clammed up and denied anything happened.

Her eyes flicked over the rim of the mirror to look at him. "Do you care?" The hand applying her lipstick paused, her lips parted slightly.

"Yes."

Kate sighed and finished touching up her makeup. With a snap, she closed the mirror and shoved it back into her purse along with the tube of lipstick. "Some people don't like to take no for an answer."

The cryptic answer didn't satisfy Tommy. "Who did it?" He repeated firmly.

A bitter smile crossed her face. "What? Are you going to act the knight in shining armor for me?" She accused. "Rest assured, Mr.-Tommy, I've met my fair share of men who had no issue roughing up a woman. They call it equality."

Tommy frowned. "That's not how I operate."

The dark conversation about abusers appeared to amuse Kate in a twisted way. Perhaps she had become so accustomed to the brutal nature of some that she expected it. It simply became a way of life. Either she fought back, which was appropriate in some cases, or she expertly covered up the marks with powder the next morning. She didn't fight everyone who aggressed against her. She chose her battles wisely.