Eyes as Blue as the Sea

In one fluid movement, Kate unsheathed the knife and rose to her feet. She plunged the knife into Santo's stomach. There was a sharp pitched ringing in her ears as she continued to stab him over and over again. It was such a removed state of being that she couldn't hear him scream, couldn't feel his blood on her, couldn't feel the knife accidentally slicing her hand. It wasn't until Santo collapsed did she realize what she did.

She could hear his labored breathing as his hands fumbled blindly over the stab wounds. Blood pooled over his shirt and dripped onto the floor. "I-I gave you everything." He gasped in disbelief.

Kate dropped the knife and placed her foot over his neck. "You gave me nothing." She spat and stepped down, crushing his throat and ending him once and for all.

A long couple of minutes passed before Kate could gather her bearings again. Rational thought returned and she realized what would happen to her. Once Santo's men found out, they would no doubt go after her and any of her allies.

Breathing ragged, she moved quickly to try and fix up the scene. If she could make it look like she was kidnapped, maybe she could get away with no implications. It would at least give her time to get away.

She went upstairs and dragged her sheets off the bed, letting blood trail everywhere she touched. It felt mildly satisfying as she left a trail of destruction down into the parlor. Sweeping stuff off the tables and dragging her nails across the walls and doorjamb. Everything would have to be left behind to make it look like she had gone against her will. But she stopped, realizing she couldn't leave her ballet shoes behind. So, she traveled back upstairs and found the box that held the shoes and her other small keepsakes. Nothing else mattered to her, so she left it all.

Once everything looked suitable, Kate walked over to Santo's body. It made her sick to look at him, but that wasn't much of a change. She found his billfold, tucking it into the pocket of her skirt.

She donned a cloche hat and one of Santo's heavy coats before she left so no one would notice her or the blood on her. Her thoughts were scattered but she knew that she needed to lay low. The closest ally she had just happened to be across the street, so she moved quickly but slow enough so she wouldn't attract attention.

Patrick answered the door with a puzzled look. "Kate?"

She pushed past him in a panic when she heard a car coming down the street. "He's dead." She whispered.

"Uh, what was that?" He shut the door.

"He's dead, Santo's dead, I killed him." She slipped off the coat and pushed it toward him. "You need to burn that."

One of the other men, Owen, came down. "Pat, I heard screaming...oh, Miss Lynch." The man who couldn't be much older than twenty-one looked alarmed at the amount of blood on her. "Are you alright?"

"Don't ask questions," Patrick ordered and threw Santo's coat at him. "Put this away, tonight burn it in the back alley." He instructed.

"They're going to find out soon," Kate said.

"It's alright, they won't know you're here," Patrick assured her. "Tommy's leaving for the docks in a day or so. It'll take him less than a week to get here."

She sank to the floor, her back against the wall. She put a hand to her forehead but realized she was bleeding.

Patrick noticed, of course, it was hard to ignore the amount of blood coating her clothes and arms. "We have bandages upstairs in the bathroom." He offered. "I'll have Owen go out and see if he can find you some new clothes. I'm guessing you left everything there."