I Don't Want to Trouble You More

On her way out of the office, Kate stopped Niall. "Where's Tommy?"

"Talking to the foreman, I suspect." The man replied. "Said he was going to clear up some business before he left for Doncaster."

Kate left in a huff, storming down the stairs to the factory floor. "Tommy?" The heat of the machinery and coal was almost unbearable but she carried on.

The men working the line knew better than to give her a second glance. Some of them who were more familiar with her had even given her the respect they gave the other Shelbys who worked there. A curt nod and a "' Morning Miss."

But she ignored them as she searched. "Tommy!"

Finally, her call got to him and he realized immediately by her tone that she wasn't happy or something was wrong. "Kate?" He walked down the line to find her. "I was just about to come up, we can leave soon the car should be ready."

"You're sending Ada to Boston, are you fucking crazy?" She demanded, not about to let him derail her from her anger. "After what happened there?"

Tommy knew it was his cousin who had let the news slip. Of course, he hadn't explicitly said not to tell Kate, but he hoped it would be implied. He was hoping over the trip to Doncaster they could talk about it. But apparently plans would be changed. "It's just on legitimate business, nothing to do with anything other than that." He tried to quell her exasperation quickly, but it appeared she wouldn't be satisfied with business talk.

"Tommy, Santo's men are smart. I may have gotten away for now but eventually, they will figure everything out. Especially now that you're working with Frank. You can't do anything in secret. It'll get out and they'll know your name."

"Trust me..."

"No, trust me. I know these men better than you do. I know that city better than you do. If you think sending your sister there alone, without protection is a good idea then you've really lost your mind."

"She won't be alone. We're setting up business in Boston. Ada is in charge of acquiring property while she's over there."

"And you realize the boundaries already set up by gangs? If she buys something that's in the wrong area..."

"That's partly why we've continued contact with Frank Wallace. He'll be helping notify Ada of good locations as well as safe locations. I've contracted the Gustin Gang to protect Ada as well as any other Shelby Company employees who are a part of the American division."

Kate narrowed her eyes at him. She couldn't argue that it was a bad idea. That would be putting doubt on Frank and his brother who she trusted with her own life. But the set up still rubbed her the wrong way and she wasn't about to let him go about the day without knowing that. "Don't talk to me like I'm stupid."

"Kate-"

"You can use your professional speak or whatever, but you know I have a right to be concerned. And a right to be angry that the first time I'm hearing of this is from Michael instead of you coming to me and being honest about what you were doing."

Tommy sighed and removed his glasses so he could pinch the bridge of his nose. It was too early to argue. He was looking forward to a nice trip though, and he couldn't have that if they didn't resolve things.

"How long have you been planning this?" Kate asked. But before he could answer, she continued. "And don't lie to me because I have no problems asking Ada the same question because I know she'll tell me the truth."