Damage that Cannot be Undone

They didn't say anything as they made their way to their room on the ship. They parted ways with Patrick and the others along the way. Tommy didn't let go of Kate's hand until he needed to locate the key to the room and open the door.

He allowed her in first, touching her back gently as she entered the suite. It was a set of three rooms including the bathroom, a sitting room, and the bedroom. The rooms weren't particularly large but they were ornate and comfortable for crossing the ocean. It was very similar to the suite she had traveled in with Santo to Boston. It felt like years ago when she felt so hopeless. Destined to never have love in her life.

But now, there she was with Tommy. It felt like a dream.

Kate turned to him, so filled with joy that she wasn't quite sure what to do.

Tommy shut the door and set their bags on the floor. He brushed his hands together and looked at her with a bit of apprehension. Though their reunion on the docks was one he'd been hoping for, he was worried. Worried that she would be upset with him for still stepping in. For doing everything she told him not to do. In the end, it worked out. But that didn't erase the fact that he hadn't listened to anything she said. It could be argued that he was only doing it for her safety, but of course, there was a hint of selfishness behind his motive. He needed her back for his own sanity.

But Kate didn't seem to hold any grievances. She was feeling too euphoric from being freed from such a long-standing burden. "Can I kiss you?" She asked softly.

"When have you ever asked for something so politely?" Tommy asked coyly.

She smiled. Oh, it felt so good to smile again. "I could insist on it."

He started to move towards her. "You could."

The closer he got, the faster her heart raced. It was as if it had been kickstarted back to life. All that time she'd been so numb, and now every nerve-ending was vibrating with excitement. "I could demand it."

"And you wouldn't hear any complaints from me." Tommy stopped inches away from her. He gently combed his fingers through her hair.

"Then kiss me."

He smiled. "There's the Kate I know." He murmured before pressing his lips to hers. Though they had never kissed before, it felt strangely familiar. Perhaps they'd known each other so well that there were no surprises. But it wasn't meaningless. In fact, it felt like the most thrilling thing Kate had ever done. The lights of the Moulin Rouge, the weightless feeling of a grand jeté in front of an audience, nothing compared.

Tommy placed a hand on the small of her back, bringing her flush against him. Kate's lips parted with a soft sigh of yearning. Her hands went to tangle in his hair, pressing him onward, praying he wouldn't stop.

Luckily, he wasn't keen on letting go of her. It wasn't until they were both completely out of breath, did they part. Even then, neither of them moved away. Kate loosened her hold on his hair, instead, gently carding her fingers through his dark locks. She paused when her fingers grazed over the scars on his scalp.

"Are you still in pain?" She asked quietly.

Tommy pressed his forehead to hers. "I need glasses. Other than that, it's only headaches here and there."

She sighed. "I should've been there for you."

"You were there." He assured her. "The drugs they put me on, they made me see you."