Outrun the Devil

//Happy New Year!

           Johnny Dogs met them half a mile from the Lee's campsite. He carried a pole with a white scarf tied to the top. "I got you ten minutes with her." He clarified.

Kate stepped out and gave Tommy a concerned look. "Are you walking me into a war zone, Mr. Shelby?"

"They respect the white flag." He responded, neither confirming nor denying.

She sighed and shut the car door. "Well, at least I'm never bored when I'm with you, Tommy Shelby."

He pulled out a cigarette, shrugged and began walking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Once the camp came into view, Kate said a prayer under her breath. Rumors told her that the Lees were not to be messed with. But it seemed that's exactly what Tommy was doing.

People eyed them as they wove their way through vardos and fires. Kate couldn't help but notice some of the men holding guns or clubs. Their menacing stares followed them but they didn't advance. Maybe Tommy was right about the white flag. It kept them at bay.

Eventually, they stopped at an intricately painted vardo. Johnny knocked on the door with the end of the pole while another man opened the door for them.

"Stay out here," Tommy spoke quietly to Kate.

She raised an eyebrow. "You brought me all the way out here to stand around while you conduct business behind closed doors?" She hissed in disbelief. "Could've been doing a million other things right now."

Instead of explaining his reasoning, Tommy stepped up into the wagon and shut the door behind him.

"Unbelievable," Kate muttered under her breath and took a seat on the steps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After negotiating with Zilpha regarding Billy Kimber and a betrothal, Tommy reached into his pocket for a cigarette.

"What about the girl?" Zilpha asked in their native tongue.

"Which girl?" Tommy asked as he struck a match.

The matriarch nodded toward the door. "The American."

"She's one of the clever minds I've collected." He replied. "She's my in with the American market. Should our alliance go well, I'll share the wealth."

Zilpha just laughed a bit sarcastically. "You're biting off more than you can chew, chavi. What happens when this all catches up to you? How long do you think you can run from the devil before he catches you?"

"I'll worry about that when he catches me." Tommy stood and stepped back outside.

Kate lifted her head when the door opened. "Oh, thank God, these men will not stop staring at me." She glanced over at some of the Lee men who had kept a steely eye on her and Johnny. They hardly flinched, staying almost as still as soldiers, their hands never leaving their rifles. "I was afraid they were going to start using me as target practice."

Tommy offered a hand to help her stand up from the steps. "All's well now." He assured her and began walking back toward the car with Johnny.

"Well, I was never meant to be involved in this. I told you the information I would give you and you've been yanking me 'round trying to do other little odd jobs."