Digging Deeper and Deeper

"What the hell was that?" Tommy followed Kate as she strode into the betting shop. It had been a long time since the woman had been in. She'd certainly changed from the Moulin Rouge courtesan running from her past to a high society wife and mother. Tommy trailed after her to his old office. The hem of her cream-colored dress swung around her calves as she tore off her coat and threw it onto a nearby chair.

"That was a reminder that you can't forget your past no matter how hard you try," Kate replied tersely after her husband closed the door behind him. "Should've known this day would come."

"You know Michael's wife? From Boston?"

"I know her uncle. He's a low-life who I never want to have the displeasure of seeing ever again. It's bad enough seeing Gina." She frowned and sat on the edge of his desk, crossing her arms over her chest. "Something's wrong."

Tommy made a quick stop at the liquor cart. "I know something's wrong."

"This is just another sign that I need to be in Boston."

He didn't answer immediately, taking a quick drink of whiskey before refilling the glass again. "Tell me how you know Gina."

"Her uncle, Jack Nelson, he's a fucking bastard and I can't wait to see him rot." She spat angrily.

The name sparked some recognition in Tommy's brain. "Frank mentioned him once or twice in telegrams."

Kate's lower lip tremored at the name of her deceased friend. "They fought often. Sure, they were both Irish but they had different ideas. Frank was more focused on the community, and helping people and maybe he did it illegally but people loved him. He got things done that the politicians couldn't. Jack's another story, he uses the higher-ups to get what he wants." She made a face of disgust. "He dabbles in politics but he's the least honorable man I know. Sort of like a chameleon, he'll agree to everything you believe in, pretend he's onboard, then when your back is turned, he stabs you with all the information he gathered from you."

Tommy abandoned the now empty glass and walked over to her. "And what did he do to make your list?"

"I had a couple of boys who helped run alcohol all over the city. I was pushing into some territory that was always a war zone. Jack warned me to know my place and quit selling to certain bars in that area. I didn't listen. One day those two boys ended up dead in broad daylight. I blame myself for not listening, but I blame Jack for ordering their deaths."

Tommy processed the information, trying to put all the pieces together. "Then is it a coincidence that Gina married me cousin and ended up here?"

"Hard to say." Kate shrugged and stood up. "But if I were you, I wouldn't take your eyes off Gina for a second. She's been Jack's pawn since she learned how to walk. The best conmen would be envious of her manipulation skills."

"I trust your judgment." Of course, his plan was to never trust Michael again but that could easily be applied to his new wife too.

"And my judgment is to go to Boston." She added.

Her husband didn't respond. He turned and began slowly pacing the length of his old office. "Do you know much about any politicians here in England?"

"I know the one who fathered my children." She replied coyly.

He smiled slightly but shook his head. "Any others?"