»» old friends

Niall's hair was no longer a bright blonde, like how Harry had remembered him back in their teenage years. Granted, it's been a solid 4 years, ever since Niall went to the states to pursue his educational degree. No, because the last time he saw Niall, he'd been running to the terminal gates of the airport. The sun hitting his blond hair so perfectly, it actually hurt to look at it.

He remembers Niall's loud, boisterous laugh as it resonated in the nearly empty airport because of course he had booked the flight that left at 3am. Harry remember awkwardly waving goodbye, and Niall's bright blond hair disappeared around a corner.

And that was the last time Harry had seen Niall in person.

Of course there's been video calls and phone calls, but over the years they dwindled until finally, all that was left of a childhood friendship were short voicemails on birthdays and holidays because neither could manage to catch the other at a good time.

But, here he was now. In his brunette glory. Niall's face was as warm and kind as Harry remembered, and a smile was making its way at the sound of his name leaving Harry's lips.

"Harold." Niall chuckled. And then at his Irish accent voice, it hit Harry. Niall was there. And Harry let out a loud laugh and reached forward and wrapped his arms around his childhood best friend.

"Niall! When did you get back?" Harry couldn't stop smiling as he pulled away from Niall. Niall followed him into Harry's apartment.

"About 20 minutes ago I'd say. Took a bit to find your old place, I was afraid you wouldn't be here. Looks like I just made it!" Niall laughed so loud that it filled the whole apartment.

"I officially move into my own apartment in London by the end of this week." Harry stated proudly.

Niall whistled, and his eyes swept across the almost empty kitchen, and landed on the mugs of tea Harry was placing into their hands. "Where's Liam?"

"Probably off interviewing for the next available medical program. I haven't seen him in a while."

"Really? Because he should be here in like 3 minutes." Niall said casually.

Harry turned to him in surprise, just as the door was knocked on- leading Niall to release another roar of laughter before he set his mug down and jogged back to the front door. Harry followed quickly behind and sure enough, Niall opened the door to reveal Liam Payne, the final member of their small group.

Liam was thicker in build than both Harry and Niall. Since, he lifts weights to help balance the stress of obtaining his medical degree. He was currently interviewing at various schools for his next step: medical school. All three had disbanded years ago after their final year of secondary school.

Niall went to the states to obtain a degree in Secondary Education.

Liam explored an undergraduate degree in medicine, so he still had a long ways to go. But, his love for medicine and people only pushed him farther down this trek.

And Harry took probably the most boring route of them all. He was going into statistics analysis and business management. A CEO type. (He hopes)

But, none of that mattered now. Because all Harry could do was run forward and wrap his arms around Liam. His best friend. They let their education get the better part of them this past year. That and Harry let Louis have the better part of him this past year.

"Harry!" Liam exclaimed with a huge smile.

"What the hell are you two doing here at midnight?" Harry questioned with an even bigger smile on his face.

"Round of beers? Like old times?" Niall asked before Liam could reply. Harry didn't have a chance to deny because next thing he knew Niall was pushing him out towards the door and into the cool, starry night.

----

Harry was drunk. Like, really, really, really drunk. He doesn't think he's ever been this drunk since secondary school when Niall would come over with pints and they'd get smashed on a Friday night. 

He thought he was drunk then, but this is a whole other level. He's laughing with Liam over Niall getting rejected by this pretty brunette at the bar they are at. Now, Niall dipped over to the bathroom because he managed to spill a cold pint all over his shirt. Liam is applying to medical school's in Europe. 

"How are you Harry?" Liam asked. He was always the good one, he'd only touched one pint that Niall had dragged over and plopped right in front of him. Even then, the pint was only half finished. In comparison to the rows of drinks that Niall and Harry had already established for themselves. 

"'M fine, and you?" Harry asked. 

Liam shook his head, "No, I mean it, how are you?" 

Harry stared at Liam over the top of his drink and he was silent for a few more minutes. "Yeah, I could be better." 

Although, Harry hasn't seen Liam in months, it's hard to not call his best friend when things get tough, so while they haven't seen each other in person, Liam knows all about Harry's situation with Louis. 

"Is it still him?" Liam inquired. 

"Yes...and no." Harry looked away. And Harry explained his feelings, or, well, he tried to explain his feelings to Liam. But, that's the great thing about Liam, he always understood Harry, even in his stumbling, drunk self. "I think," Harry paused for a moment, and his eyes met Liam's worried ones. "I think, it's always going to be him." 

Harry hopes that this will be it, that his move will allow the space necessary away from Harry. When Niall came back, he claimed that he was starving and could go for some pizza. Liam and Harry's conversation ended with that, and they made their way back out into the cold streets. Harry was too drunk to notice where they were going, one second he was in the cold and the next the overwhelming smell of warm pizza filled his nostrils. 

"Welcome to Pizza Place," a familiar voice said, and Harry instantly looked up to meet a familiar set of blue, ocean like eyes.