❦ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕊𝕚𝕩❦

After dinner Keith and Lance helped the raven's brother, Shiro, in cleaning up the kitchen and dining room before the teens went back to the raven's bedroom. They weren't satisfied with leaving things as they were, and Lance wanted to ask Keith his own questions before he left this house yet again. Thinking about having to leave his childhood friend after finally being reunited was nothing short of toture to the brunet. After Lance walked inside the bedroom Keith had shut the door and stayed there, his back against the piece of wood.

     "So... It's your turn; ask away," was all Keith had said.

     Lance gulped before wetting his lips to speak. "What did you do during the ten years I was... away?" The brunet couldn't bring himself to say "gone" since it made it sound like he had abandoned the raven. I basically did that anyhow.

     "After mom left, Shiro and I have been doing our own thing really. I picked up part-time jobs at the florist shop and the grocer when I was fifteen or sixteen, then after you showed up I dropped my job at the grocer. That's it really."

     "No new friends or anything...?"

     "Nope. It hurt to think about making new friends, so I didn't bother."

     "Oh..."

     "Don't get me wrong, I still had Pidge and Hunk, but it just wasn't the same after you left."

     "What about the bullies? When did that start happening?"

     "Immediately after everyone heard you were gone. Everyone knew we were close friends but wanted me out of the picture since I'm the loner, so that's when it all started. I've had to put up with their treatment since the fourth grade."

     Lance wanted to punch himself for having to leave his childhood friend at the mercy of his tormentors for eight years. He couldn't imagine what those jerks may have done to the raven while he was gone. The thought of it was enough to make the brunet suck in a deep breath and let it out just as quickly.

     "Keith?"

     "Yes?"

     It was now that the brunet was losing the confidence he had gathered only moments ago, but he pushed his growing anxiety aside and continued on with his train of thought. "W-would you be willing to forgive me and move on with me? I'll understand if you can't, so you have every right to say no, but please consider it. I hate knowing that you had to endure so many hardships for so long when I could've been here to protect you from it all..."

     Keith was taken aback by this. His intention for his bringing the brunet here was solely to talk about what happened to both of them during those ten years they were apart, but to hear the brunet in question stumbling over his words in the hopes he could try to atone for his actions by being there for him now and wanting to protect him from those who have messed with him during all those years brought forth a new feeling altogether. He was tempted to blindly say yes and dive for Lance yet again, but he knew that rushing into anything wasn't the smartest or safest thing to do. Especially now. Keith was in an emotionallly fragile state of mind right now and he didn't want to make a choice he'd regret later that would leave him broken beyond repair.

     After some thought, Keith decided that he'd play it safe and try to stay as distant, yet as close, as he could from Lance. He let out a short sigh and let his mind do the talking for him.

     "I appreciate the sentiment but I can't forgive you so easily, Lance..." It was still a weird feeling calling the brunet by his name, but Keith figured he'd grow used to it again in time. "Yes, we were kids and we tend to over-react and hold grudges for the stupidest things, but this isn't one of those things. You abandoned me without so much as a word and I was devastated. I understand it was for a family matter and that what I'm saying may seem selfish, but you would know that about me so this should sound reasonable enough to you."