❦ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 ℕ𝕚𝕟𝕖❦

Surviving his birthday weekend? He could do that. Growing used to James the days that followed? He could do that. Looking forward to Saturday with Pidge, Hunk, and Lance? He could not.

     He might've been excited to go to the remodeled arcade with his friends if he wasn't going with them. And he could forget trying to get James to go with him in any way; Pidge made it clear she wasn't going to have it with her threats -- he couldn't afford to fail trigonometry this early in the game. So now, here he is, in his room, pacing from his desk to his bed and back contemplating on even going. It was the only loophole he had left but he was sure Pidge would think of something to make him suffer for it later.

     Keith had managed to survive the rest of the week by staying at James' side in homeroom, in the halls, and at lunch, but it didn't completely rid of his emotions everytime he saw Lance. He knew he was being childish at this point, but he couldn't control the emotions he felt when he saw the brunet enter the room with that smile of his. Then those feelings intensified when the brunet would speak and he'd grow to hate hearing his voice. He left me for years. It's only fair I leave him until he gets the message. However, now that the school week had passed and it was Friday night, Keith had to make his choice: go or stay.

     Reaching his bed once more, the raven sat down and rested his arms on his knees as he brushed his hands over his face. His eyes met the small vase of tulips he'd received from Lance for his birthday and thought back to the other half of the gift. He didn't want to open it because he thought it was unfair that he got a gift but Lance hadn't, but it wasn't entirely his fault either. His birthday is July twenty-eighth, so that would make him seventeen now. Thinking about their nine month age difference made the raven remember how, for the longest time, Lance had thought he was older back when they were kids. Remembering such things brought a smile to his face, a betrayal to his heart and mind. Shaking his head and releasing a sigh, Keith made his decision just as Pidge and Hunk entered his room.

     Pidge hadn't given either Hunk nor Keith time to greet each other. "So Mr. Grumpy Pants. What's your choice: go to the arcade and have some fun with us and Lance, or stay here and face my wrath?"

     "Come on Pidge, Keith needs to be able to make his own choices in matters of the heart. It's not up to us to try and mend what broke in the past ten years now."

     "Well I can't stand Mr. Debby Downer at school nor Mr. Grumpy Pants here, so as their best friends it's up to us to slap the sense into them."

     Keith chuckled a bit but it didn't last long -- recalling the fact that Lance would be joining them tomorrow. "Listen you guys. It's awesome that you want to help, really, it is... but Hunk is right. This isn't something the two of you can just fix with temporary good memories serving as super glue. This runs deeper than you can understand..."

     "... You sure you want to be saying something like that to me?" Pidge responded in a clipped tone.

     The raven thought about what was being said, read the room, and decided to not venture down that path -- he knew he was playing a dangerous game by poking the lioness with his proverbial stick. Sighing, Keith tried a different approach but with the same argument. "Pidge. Hunk. You guys have been the best friends anyone could ask for in ten years, but you can't force the linchpin back into place if it's rusted or no longer fits. Sure, we may be a bit loose without it -- without him -- but we're content; I'm content."

     "You mean you've given up on him," Pidge said, a tinge of sadness in her voice.

     Keith stood from the bed to approach his hurting friend, resting a gentle hand on her shoulder. "No. Not really, I don't think. I'm just not ready to accept him back so quickly..." The girl shut her eyes tightly before embracing the raven with everything she had. Keith carefully wrapped his arms around her, looking up to Hunk for some kind of guidance, before beginning to pet and smooth her hair.