Ch.1 Last Gift Granted

3rd Person POV

Voices of the boys who joyously play soccer seep through the quiet corridor. Unlike the lively ambiance outside the building, the locker room is suffocating for two people.

A dark-haired boy stands still as he stares at the girl in front of him. The girl with (H/C) hair and gentle (e/c) eyes who always look at him when he speaks,  now clearly chooses to stare at the floor.

The boy musters up everything he has to say what has been stuck in his throat.

Takao: I'm sorry...

Takao stares at the smaller figure in front of him as he says things that will obviously hurt her. The girl accepts everything like the prey who has no longer hope. Takao Kazunari stares at the girl's arms. The arms that always welcome him and gave him warmth for the last 8 months, they're shaking along with her body.

Takao: I... I can't say it sooner... I know... I'm a jerk for doing this in the first place... I... can't keep this on...

L/N Y/N hasn't yet spoken a word to reply to Takao.

Takao: you've... been the sweetest person.. yet I-

Y/N: Kazunari...

The voice that resembles a whimper stops Takao from saying any more unnecessary excuses. Takao looks at the girl who still hasn't shown her face as she keeps it down.

Y/N: just... say it... please..

Takao can feel his chest tighten as he listens to the trembles in Y/N's voice. He clenches his fists. He's afraid that he'll hurt her but again, he has been doing it for two weeks. Takao swallows the nothingness in his throat and closes his eyes.

A month ago Mikami Fuyumi, Takao's ex-girlfriend transferred back to Shutoku. Last year, she suddenly moved and broke up with Takao. As he left his heart broken, Y/N was the one who mended his heart, she was the one who always cheer him on his game, and the one that he fell in love with after she showers him with kindness.

And here he is, the jerk Takao Kazunari came to the surface when Fuyumi came back last month. How fate was being a jerk by putting her as his chairman. How does he respond to Fuyumi when she apologized and wanted to hang out with him. How he lied to Y/N about having extra practice with Midorima just so he can go with Fuyumi.

How he let his ex kiss him when he canceled his date with Y/N. How he has been living with the pain of hurting her but can't stop it. Not until he realizes that Y/N knows everything and confronts him. That's when he knows he has to end it, he needs to stop hurting Y/N, but can't stop what he has with Fuyumi.

Takao: Y/N... I... please break up with me... I... don't want to keep on hurting you... I'm... sorry... I... I've been seeing her behind your back... I'm... sor-

Takao hasn't finished talking when something soft was thrown at his face. The small thing fell to the floor and he sees a bear key chain lying on the floor.

Y/N: I'm... breaking up with you... that's... the last thing I'll give to you... Takao san...

Takao finally sees her face and how he hopes his heart would just stop beating because it's suffocating to see her cry because of him. How his hand automatically reaches out to touch her, to pat her head but of course, his hand was slapped as she took a step back to avoid him.

Takao: Y/N... I'm... sor-

Y/N turns on her heels and runs away, leaving the basketball player staring at her figure getting further away and eventually, out of his sight.

Takao turns his gaze back at the black bear Keychain lying on the floor. He picks it up and stares at it. He remembers the day he got that keychain from a clawing machine on his date with Y/N. Remembers how happy and beautiful her face is as he handed the simple gift to her. And how proud he is to be able to make her smile like that.