CHAPTER 3

It's been 2 weeks since Liz saw that car that Sam was going on and on about. She'd seen it again a few more times and it just drove on by, proving how paranoid she was to think it was coming for her. Sam ofcourse insists that it was a male driver and he was checking Liz out. She was all set on buying running shoes and following Liz on her afternoon runs. To tell the truth, Liz wouldn't mind the company. Sam has been threatening to come with her for the past week. Liz was starting to think that this was an empty threat. Sam was way to lazy to go  jogging with her and apparently she was allergic to sweat. Liz had never heard of such an allergy in all her 25 years on this earth. But Sam swears that it's real. Liz herself suffered from eczema now and then but, being allergic to sweat? That had to be a Sam thing. Anyway Liz had just reached her turning point, she decided to stop and do some stretches before heading back home. As she was about to take off, a car suddenly comes up from behind her and stops next to her. Liz looked up to see that same big black car Sam as been nagging her about. Great she thought, what now? Suddenly a cold wind swept up rustling the leaves and making Liz shiver a bit. Winter was definitely in the air. Liz stared at the car wondering if she should make a run for it or stand there and find out what this person wanted. She realised that she didn't have a choice anyway since the window was rolling down.  She looked into the car to see a white guy with the bluest eyes she'd ever seen. She found herself wondering what shade of blue that was until she realised she was staring and looked away. Maybe this guy had confused her with someone else, maybe if she just backed away slowly he- "hi" he said, cutting off her thoughts and stopping her backward movement. She looked around, then back at him. Finally, she cleared her throught and said hi back.
"I've seen you jogging up here a few times" he said.
"I've seen you driving up here a few times" she said. Then there was an awkward silence. He cleared his throat
"I'm Jason" he said holding out his hand.
"I'm Lizeka" she said, making no move to shake his hand. Silence again. Until he dropped his hand and cleared his throat. He seemed to do that a lot. "Well then" he said. "I guess I better tell you why I stopped". Liz just looked at him and waited. He carried on "I need your help" Liz's eyebrows went up to her hairline. What could this guy possibly need her help with she wondered. "Maybe you can help me or you may know someone who can help me" still no response from Liz. "Okay, the thing is, I need a babysitter " Liz tilted her head to the side and took a good, long look at him. " I  don't know" she said "you look like you are doing a pretty good job of taking care of yourself" she said. "What?" He asked. Then he shook his head and said "No not for me, for my kid."
"You have a kid?" Liz asked. He nodded. Liz stared at him again then said "that's strange since you don't look like a goat" Jason looked confused "what are you talking about"  he asked. " you know, cats have kittens, goats have kids, humans have babies " Liz said slowly as if she was explaining to her pupils. Jason starting laughing out loud. At least the guy has a sense of humour Liz thought and a nice laugh too.
The guy eventually stopped laughing. "You're funny" he said with a wide grin on his face. "So anyways, what I meant to say was that I need a babysitter for my baby. Could you help me? Please?" Liz thought for a minute "well, you know if you keep on driving up this road about half a kilometre, you'll find a dirt road on your left. This will lead you right to the gate of kenosis community preschool." The guy looked at her like she had lost he mind. "What, you live up here but, you don't know about that preschool " Liz asked him. He shook his head. "Honestly, I've never heard of it and anyways, I don't think they can help me" he said. "You see I'm looking for someone who can watch the baby 24 hours a day"
"Okay, so you are looking for a nanny then. Somehow to be there day and night. You're right. The preschool won't be able to help you with that"
He looked at her. "What about you?"
"What about me?" She asked. "Can't you help me?" "I already have a job"
"Where do you work, what do you do?" Liz sighed, this guy was asking too many questions. "I work at a preschool. I teach ." He looked at her thoughtfully "so you like kids? You're good with them?" He asked. " I like CHILDREN" she said " and yes I'm good with, sometimes I prefer them to adults actually " she said thoughtfully. "Well there you go then" he said excitedly "I'll double whatever they are paying you there and you can come and work for me." Liz's mouth was hanging open in shock. "What? No dude. This lady I'm working for took me on when noone was hiring or even willing to help me out. She gave me a chance. I'm not  gonna drop her like that at the beginning of the month without a second thought."
"Loyalty" he said. "I like that"
"Good, then you understand why I can't help you" he shook his head. "Look, the baby's not here yet ".
"What?"
"That's the beauty of the situation. The baby is only coming next month. So you can give your notice in plenty of time and come and work for me." He said with a smile that he probably thought was charming. "Look mister, I love my job. I'm not quitting any time soon. Your best bet is to put an ad in the paper. That way you'll find a perfectly suitable nanny with good references to work for you. As for me I need to get going so goodbye" Liz said starting to turn away. "Wait, wait " he called. "Can you at least promise to think about it? Or at least find out from people you know if anyone is interested in this job?" He pleaded.  "Fine" she said " I'll think about it" and she turned and ran for home.