CHAPTER 4

The next day at work Liz told Sam about meeting the owner of the big black car. She told everything that happened and all they talked about. "I knew it was a male driver" Sam said excitedly. "what does he look like? Is he tall, dark and handsome?" Liz frowned " well, he is handsome and I'm assuming he is tall by the car he drives cause he was sitting down during our conversation. I don't know about dark though since he is a white guy but, two out of three is not bad right?". Sam wasn't so sure about that. She didn't really get along with white. Maybe it was more accurate to say she didn't know how to get along with them. She never be exposed to a lot of them for long enough to find out how they got along. Anyway this wasn't about her. It was about Liz and the job offer she had received. "So are you taking the job or what?" She asked. "Weren't you Listening?" Liz asked throwing her hands up. " I'm not taking it! I can't just leave Rose like that. After everything she's done for me." Sam rolled her eyes. Liz was always miss goody too shoes. "Come on Liz. Twice the money you make in this place. The chance to get away from these snort nosed brats and you'd be living up there. You love that place. You are always going on up the wide open spaces and beautiful scenery and what not. Are really going to say no to a chance to live there?" She asked. "You do make some valid points" Liz agreed. "Except for the the part about getting away from the children, that's my favorite part of this job. What about Rose though?"
"Rose will understand about opportunities that can't be missed and I'm sure she'll find someone to replace you soon enough" Liz laughed "wow! Thanks for reminding me that I'm not irreplaceable" Sam was immediately sorry "that's not what I meant" she quickly assured her friend. "Relax" Liz said "I know you didn't mean it like that. I'm made my decision though. I'm not leaving my job. Why don't you take the nanny position?" She asked Sam. " I don't know why you look surprised" she said when Sam just looked at her. "It's no secret that you don't like this job and you want a change of scenery. You'd only have one child to look after. This could be your stepping stone to something else." Sam looked thoughtful. "Let me think about it" she said.

Later that afternoon, all the children had gone home and Liz was lacing up her shoes, getting ready for her run. Suddenly Sam walked in wearing a jogging suit. Liz's jaw dropped in amazement. Sam rolled her eyes. "Close your mouth Liz, you're catching flies. I don't know why you are acting surprised. I told you I was gonna join you. After our conversation this morning I decided to come with you so I can see this beautiful scenery for myself and maybe it will help me make a decision " Sam explained. "Fine with me" Liz said "let's go"

Sam was huffing and puffing and refused to move another inch. "Come on" Liz pleaded "Just a little further"
"No, no that's okay I've seen the scenery. You were righy it's beautiful. Can we go back now?" Sam asked sitting down on the roadside. "You never told me there were farms up here though." She said. "Oh yeah, it's mostly sugarcane farms. That's why they all this wide open space. You can see it properly from up the road, so come on let's go." Liz said. "I told you I'm not moving from this spot unless it's to head home" Sam  said, taking a drink from her water bottle. "Fine! I'll go on by myself then" Liz said. "Go ahead love, I'll right here waiting for you" Sam said stretching out her legs.

So Liz kept running on her own to the spot where she normally turned at. As   she started back, who should come driving up but Mr big black car himself! He stopped the car and rolled down his window. "Hi, again" he said with a smile. "Are you stalking me?" Were the first words out of Liz's mouth. " ofcourse not" he said. "I live up here, you jog up here. We are bound to run into each other. Anyway have you thought about my offer?"
"I told you I wasn't quitting my job, but I may have found someone who wants to work for you." Liz said. "I'm sure you saw the lady sitting on the side of the road as you were driving up" he nodded. "Well, that's my friend who maybe interested in the job."
"Does she have experience?"
"She's my colleague at the preschool were I work."
"So she doesn't mind leaving her job?"
"No she doesn't, but she's still thinking about it so don't get your hopes up and don't forget to put an ad in the paper." Liz reminded him.  "I have to go now. Sam's probably tired of waiting for me. Bye"
"Wait, before you go. Can I have your number? Or maybe you can take mine and then you can call me once you've decided what to do." Liz thought about this. She anything to write with, she couldn't take his number. She wasn't comfortable giving him her number. But Sam had seemed interested in the job. She did know Sam number by heart, so maybe she should give him her number so he communicate with Sam through her. She could always block him if he became a nuisance. She gave him her number and ran back to Sam.

"Did you see it?" She asked Sam who was sitting right where she had left her. "The big black car? Yes I did. And you were right again. It's a beautiful car" she said. Liz laughed "you should know by now that I'm always right, anyway I spoke to him and told him that you might be interested in the job." Sam's eyes opened wide " what did he say?" Liz shrugged "he said to let him know once you've decided." Sam let out a low whistle "I guess I have a lot to thing about." She said. "Yeah" Liz said " and I always do my best thinking when I'm running. Why don't you give it a try and see how it works for you?" Liz said pulling Sam to her feet. Come on let's go!