CHAPTER 11

Moving day.

Jason had gone to Liz's house during the week to collect some of their luggage, so there wasn't a lot to take now. Liz said goodbye to her mom and they left.
"Your house looks different." He observed as he helped Liz into the car. "Yeah, it's getting bigger."
"What do you mean?"
"Renovations honey." Liz said with some sass. "All the money you're paying me is going into my mom's house. Just wait till I'm done. It's gonna be amazing!"
"Wow" he said, "that's a great way to spend your money."
"I'm a lady with a plan." She said, winking at him as he closed the door and went round to the driver's side and jumped in.

They spent the day setting up Lu's clothes and toys into her cupboards and toy box. Lu sat in a corner playing with some toys. Just as the finished lunch, Jason got a call from the hospital that Stacy wanted to see them. Lu was relaxing in her car seat in a daiper.

So Liz quickly got her dressed and packed her bag and they left

So Liz quickly got her dressed and packed her bag and they left. They arrived at the hospital in record time. Both of them worried about Stacy. They found Stacy sitting up in bed. Jason immediately wanted to know what was wrong but Stacy said nothing was wrong, she just missed her baby. Liz and Jason looked at each other. Neither of them believed her. Liz handed her the baby, while Jason asked about their mother's visit.
"Did she come?"
"Yes"
"By herself?"
"No, dad was here as well. I forgotten how good dad's hugs are she said smiling."
"Did you and mom sort things out?"
"I guess so. She said she's not mad any more, but she didn't even ask about the baby. Dad did though. He said he wanted to have lunch with you tomorrow so he could meet her. You should expect a call from him".
"That's fine. Are you sure you okay sis, you don't look so good."
"The pain has been worse today but the Doctor gave me something. I think it's kicking in now. I'm starting to feel sleepy. Thank you for bringing her" she said squeezing Liz's hand as she closed her eyes.

They got up and left. Jason went to speak to the Doctor while Liz made her way to the car. He came out just as she finished buckling Lu in. He helped Liz into the car and also got in.
They drove all the way home in silence. "Are you going to tell me what's going on" Liz asked as they walked into the house. He let out a sigh. "Go put the baby down and come back. I'll make some coffee and tell you what I learned today." When Liz came back he was sitting on the couch with two cups of coffee in front of him. She sat down and faced him.
"Okay, what's going on?"
He took a deep breathe.
"Turns out the hole in Stacy's heart is bigger than they originally thought it was. They can't do anything about it. They've  put her on the transplant list." He said with tears in his eyes.
"She needs a new heart!?" Liz asked shocked. All he could do was nod. "I'm so sorry" Liz said giving him a hug. That's why Stacy was so agitated tonight. They'd probably just told her. Poor Stacy. They stayed like that wrapped in each other's arms until Jason realised that Liz had fallen asleep. He looked down at her as she slept on his chest and thought again about how beautiful she was. That smooth chocolate skin and that body! He would never admit it, but the reason he didn't get that step stool she wanted was because he enjoyed having her in his arms. And that's the only time she didn't seem to mind having his hands on her. He brushed his knuckles down her cheek and then picked her up and carried her to her room and put her to bed.

Sunday They had lunch with Jason's parents. His mother gave Jason a hug and pretended that Liz and the baby weren't there. His dad surprised Liz by greeting her in IsiZulu.
"Sawubona" hello
"Yebo" hi
"Unjani?" How are you?
"Ngiyaphila, wena?" I'm fine and you?
"Ngiyaphila nami" I'm fine as well
"That's very good" Liz said, appreciating that he tried. "Who taught you Isizulu?" He laughed "I grew up on a farm, where IsiZulu was basically the first language as I ran around with the Zulu herd boys." Jason's mom didn't like the way the conversation was going. She cleared her throat and change the subject, speaking exclusively to Jason.  Liz didn't mind. Mr Jones was more interesting anyway. He even asked to hold the baby. Liz passed the baby to him. "What's her name?" He asked. "Luthando" Liz said. "Lovely name for a lovely girl" he said as Lu gave him a gummy smile. Mrs Jones was shocked. "What kind of name is that? We have to change it and soon." Jason sighed. "It's the name her father gave her before he died and Stacy loves it, so please leave it alone. "I need to go see Stacy this evening" she said "this won't do. It just won't do" Liz rolled her eyes. This woman was so dramatic. "Mom please leave Stacy alone. Doctor says she shouldn't be under any stress. Talking to her about changing her baby's name is unnecessary and will definitely stress her out." Jason begged. "I'll just suggest gently that-" "No" Mr Jones said cutting her off. "But dear, we can't-" "I SAID NO" Mr Jones shouted. "Haven't you done enough already?" He asked lowering his voice. Mrs Jones's face was red with embarrassment. She got and left
Mr Jones told them to order their lunch and eat. Apparently he was tired of his wife's drama. He blamed her for his daughter being so sick. Apparently his wife never told him about the pregnancy and their falling out.

That evening as they relaxing and watching a movie, Jason got a call from the hospital. Stacy had passed on.  Jason told Liz with tears in his eyes. "I'm so sorry." Liz cried hugging him close.
"Poor Lu" Liz said as her tears kept falling. "Barely six months old and she has lost both her parents.