CHAPTER 21

A month later people were still talking about the ceremony at the Ndlovu's. Sam kept asking when they were having repeat. Liz told her to stop talking and help her plan the umembeso. There is no English word for this. The best way to describe it is a gift giving ceremony. It takes place at the bride to be's house. The grooms family comes over. The grooms sisters and female relatives fetch the bride from her home. They take her outside the gate and dress her in clothes that they bought for her. Then they come into the yard and the ceremony begins. They bring presents ( usually blankets and clothes and food) they have an area in the yard where the people sit to receive their gifts.

Sam and Liz as well as her mom and sisters planned everything down to the last detail. Poor Jason didn't know if he was coming or going. There was so much to do and Lu was right in the middle of everything. She didn't want to be left out.

Six months later

The decor was set, the cake was baked . The outfits were ready. Today was the day. Umembeso was about to begin.

 Umembeso was about to begin

They could here the ladies from Jason's family singing (with a little help from some of Liz's friends)Uthe ubhuti asizomlanda umakhoti

Uthe ubhuti asizomlanda umakhoti.🎶
Uthe ubhuti asizomlanda umakhoti 🎶
Sizomlanda sizomlanda sizomlanda
umakhoti.🎶
(Our brother sent us to fetch his. We will fetch his bride.)🎶🎶🎶

They came in and searched for Liz until they found her. They took her outside the yard. Two ladies held up two big blankets around Liz so no one  could see as they changed her into the dress that they brought. When Liz was dressed and everything was ready. The ladies started singing as they lead her back into the yard. When they got into the yard they laid a reed mat on the floor for Liz to sit on and another one for her mom. Liz had her niece sitting with her so she could send her for anything she needed. The gifts were brought in. All the blankets were labeled and ready. There was a big enamel basin filled with all types of soap and detergents for her mom for all the times she cleaned and did laundry for Liz.