Dream Match Championship

The announcers words rang in my ears. “The Championship Full Circuit race will begin momentarily.” It was everything I'd always dreamed of. I'd watched the Dream Matches on TV more than a few times, when I was little, like ten, I remember my Dad bought me a racing helmet and I wore it for the 24 hour Speedwell Dream match. I fought my parents at every turn to be able to stay up and watch the whole thing. That was just watching it. Now? I was about to experience it. I had the team, the cars and the willpower I needed to see it through.

“Huddle up guys”, I said as we all came in, “what do we have?”

“We have the IROC, the Saleen and the Audi”, Jack said, “Josh and I will Drive the Camaro.”

“Tristan and I will drive the Saleen”, DJ said.

“And Alex and I have the Audi”, I said, “according to where we finished, were in second place. We line our cars up according to PI, that means the Camaro's out front, the Audi is in second and the Saleen is last.”

“Ain't no one passing me once they get back there”, DJ said smiling, “plus diesel goes the distance.”

“The Camaro's got more power than every other car out here as well”, Jack said, “let's see how much of it I can use.”

“Let's do this”, Tristan said.

Jack, Josh, Tristan and DJ went to get changed into suits while I just pulled mine on from the waste up as I hadn't taken it off from this morning.

“You sure about this Seth?”, Alex asked, “maybe driving that beast is better left to a pro.”

“I just got done racing a 780 horsepower Cummins swapped Firebird with more bite than bark and drag racing a 1,200 horsepower Camaro, I can handle a 1,000 crank horsepower Audi TDI.”

Alex looked at me, “you got some determination, I like that.”

“Drivers to your cars please”, the announcer said, “drivers to your cars.”

Alex and I walked to the Audi as DJ and the other came back and got in the Camaro and Saleen. I could hear a bunch of other cars start up as the announcer began calling out potions.

“In first place”, The Ref said, “Team Falcon. Morgan Rossi, 2015 Pontiac Firebird TransAm GTA. Susan Clarke 2015 Toyota Supra 3.0 GTR, Jack Clarke 2015 Koenigsegg One-1 GT and team leader Joseph Kane, 2015 Falcon Peregrine GT-ONE.”

Oh.

Shit.

The GT-ONE qualified!?!? At first, I was stunned, then I remembered what I'd been told when I was first invited to the Dream matches.

Your Falcon GT-ONE qualifies a Lamborghini Reventon due to the rear end they share.”

I sighed, this wasn't going to be an easy race. But I didn't need easy, I just needed do and if I could beat the GT-ONE, a car which had been built for the sole purpose of going fast, then it would make today even more of a dream than it already was.

“Team two”, the Ref said, “Jack Ramos, 1990 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z. DJ Hayes, 2011 Saleen S331 King Cab and team leader Seth Allen, 2015 #8 Audi Sport R10 TDI GTR.”

The announcer went through the other teams and by the time everything was said and done, all of the new Great Eight were on the track, along with the old Great Eight and the Falcon. All in all, this was a 17 car showdown. I could feel the rumbling in the air, smell the exhaust and the power. The seats of my car vibrated from the toque that was threatening to slow down the Earth's rotation. My heart was racing, I felt every nerve in my body pulse with near uncontrollable excitement. The pit crews of each team were running through final race checks and quickly retreating.