Race Prep

I woke the next morning to the cool air blowing through the window and the smell of the outside filling my room. I smiled and yawned as I stretched out,finding that Tess had her head on my chest. She was snoring lightly and looked content. I gently rolled her off of me and got out of bed. I quietly grabbed a sleeveless,bright red shirt and brown cargo shorts from my dresser and went into the bathroom. I quickly showered off and dressed. I looked at myself in the mirror. My eyes were a bright green and blue,they mixed perfectly with the black and red scales that covered me and the sliver dog tags around my neck stood out on the crimson red scales that covered my chest,I thought it suited my style perfectly. I quietly entered my room and took my journal from my backpack and then slid downstairs,deciding to let Tess sleep. When I got down stairs,the smell of eggs hit my snout. I walked into the kitchen to see Dad frying them.

"Do you want an egg son?" He asked glancing up at me.

"Sure Dad." I answered opening the fridge for a bottle of my fire starter.

I reached in and grabbed my last bottle,popping off the cap and taking a gulp. It tasted a lot better when it was cold. I felt my fire flare up and I stuck the bottle back in the fridge. I left the kitchen and walked into the living room. Will was playing Fallout New Vegas and James was watching Modern Marvels,something about convenience stores. I sat down on the couch and was fliping through the pages of my Journal when Tess came downstairs. She was wearing dingy olive drab cargo pants and a white,short sleeved shirt,her sliver and orange scales stood out against her clothes.

"Well good morning sleepy head",I said smiling.

Tess looked at me and smiled before sitting down next to me. "I can't remember the last time I slept that well",she said,"I'm used to sleeping just wherever."

I opened my mouth to speak,but was cut off when Mom walked in.

"Oh good morning Tess",She said smiling,"did you sleep okay?"

"I did",Tess replied,"thank you."

"John is cooking eggs",Mom said,"would you like one?"

Tess shrugged,"Sure."

Mom walked into the kitchen,seconds later,I heard Dad crack another egg and drop it on to the stove.

"Dad makes the best eggs,"I said turning to Tess,"just thinking about them makes my mouth water and my stomach howl."

Tess smiled and laughed a bit,"They do smell good."

"They taste better than they smell",James said. Tess looked at me.

"That's my older brother James",I said.

"What's up shiny?" James asked. Tess looked at James,and then back at me.

"You learn to ignore him",I said smiling.

James smiled and shook his head,turning his attention back to the TV. Tess turned her attention to the TV and I went back to my Journal. A few minutes later,Dad called from the kitchen.

"Breakfast is ready".

James paused the show and we all sprang up and ran to the kitchen. Dad put all the eggs on plates,leaving us to pile on toppings as we wished. I grabbed an English muffin and placed on each side,a slice of ham,tomato's Swiss and American cheese and I set the egg in the middle. Tess put onions,green peppers,tomatoes and letus on her's along with two slices of turkey. We took our plates and sat down at the coffee table. I took a big bite of my sandwich. All the flavors blended in my mouth,they all seem to fit together like a seam welded chassis. As I ate,Tess turned to me.

"Your Dad does make good eggs,this is better than anything I've eaten in a long time."

"Told you so." James said.