Birthday Surprises

Mom got up early the next morning and made my favorite breakfast,bacon,eggs and sausage. I woke to the smell of the frying food lofting through the air. I quickly pulled on my shirt and slid downstairs. Tess was helping Mom with breakfast and Dad was sitting at the table with his eyes glued to his IPad.

"Happy birthday Seth",Mom said hugging me,"I'm sorry Dad and I have to work,are you sure your okay with having the party tomorrow?"

"I don't care when we have the party"I answered filling my plate with bacon and sausage. My birthday was the one day of the year when Mom and Dad never made a fuss when I filled my plate with more meat than anything else.

"Okay",Mom said,"and we can have cake and ice cream tonight."

"Can my friends come?"

"Whatever you want",Mom said,"it's your day." Mom smiled at me and her eyes got all sparkly.

"I can't believe your fourteen,two more years and you'll be driving. I'm so proud of you." Mom always got emotional on my birthdays. "Watermark moments",as she calls them. Whatever that means.

I turned to Dad. "Hey Dad?"

"What son?" He asked glancing up from his IPad.

"Remember that race I told you about a few days ago?"

"Yes."

"Jack got a call from the Race Executives yesterday,the first race is out of state,in Wisconsin."

Dad just looked at me,then set down his IPad.

"This really means a lot to you doesn't it?"

"More than you know Dad." I replied.

"Well",Dad said smiling,"I have a few weeks of vacation time,I'd be happy to go with you kids."

I felt my eyes go wide.

"Thanks Dad."

"That reminds me",Dad said getting up,"I have something for you."

Dad left the room and returned with a small rectangular box,covered in wrapping paper.

"I know we usually wait till after cake to open presents,but this is special,so I wanted to give to you now."

Dad gave it to me and I pulled off the warping to expose a dark blue velvet box. I opened it,inside was a black and crimson military watch. The strap was made of Kevlar and the watch itself felt like it was made of Titanium. It had the main time dial and several smaller dials wit the day,week and month and well as what looked like a gauge of some kind. It matched my scales perfectly.

"Wow",I said stunned.

"I wore that when I was in the military and jumped out of planes with it."

"I love it Dad",I said smiling,"it's cool." I lifted out of the box,admiring it.

Dad glanced down at his IPad. "We're gonna be late",he said looking at Mom.

Mom kissed Tess and I goodbye and then walked to the door.

"By guys and behave yourselves."

"We will Mom",I said as they left.

Around a half hour after my parents left,there was a knock on the door. I answered it and DJ,Jack and Josh were standing there with smiles covering their faces.

"Happy birthday bro",Jack said,"did we miss the party?"

I laughed,"no it's not till tommorrow night."

"Come on in guys."

They stepped inside and I closed the door behind them.

"I know were late",DJ said,"but we come bearing gifts."