Festival Arrival

• Dedicated to Susan Clarke

Sussie, this one is for you. Don't let them tear you down.

I woke up real late the next morning Shelby was curled against me with a smile covering her muzzle. I smiled. This was it. I could tell that Joe's jet was sitting on the runway. It was around 12 in the afternoon. I could tell that everyone else was awake and busy. I smiled again, we were here. I nuzzled Shelby to wake her. She smiled when she saw me.

“Morning my boy”, she said licking me, “did you sleep well?”

“Course I did”, I replied.

“You sound excited”, she said.

“I am”, I replied, “this is the single best day in my life.”

“Well then lets get going shall we?”, Shelby asked as she stretched out.

We both got out of bed and dressed before walking outside. The sun was high in the sky and the jet was sitting on a private runway. I could hear people talking behind the plane so we walked back to see what was up. Joe was standing on the cargo ramp talking with a girl who looked to be a few years older than she was. She had light brown hair and green eyes and was dressed in a well fitted white shirt and faded, lose blue jeans and had on old Nike sneakers. There was a red and white Toyota Supra RZ sitting behind her and I guessed it belonged to her.

“Seth, Shelby”, Joe called, “got someone I want you to meet.”

We jumped from the staircase to the plane and walked over to them.

“Guys” I said, “this is Susan, she's an old friend of mine.”

“Nice to meet you”, Shelby said holding out her paw.

Susan took it and they shook.

“Seth”, I said.

“Joe's told me about you”, Susan said, “I heard your the reason his GT-ONE is now a reality.”

“Yep”, I replied, “it took two years, but the Falcon Peregrine GT-ONE is finally a reality. Slick Supra by the way.”

“Thank's”, Susan replied, “I found her in the junkyard one day, she still ran and they were gonna toss her into the crusher. Couldn't stand to see a Supra crushed so I bought it, gave it a little love, now she keeps me fed and a keeps a roof over my head.”

“So you make your money with the car?”, Shelby asked.

“I am literally a professional street racer”, Susan replied, “I don't think there's a street in LA I haven't drifted through in this AWD 1,900 horsepower Twin supercharged V-12 monster.”

“The Supra is an Inline six twin turbo rear wheel drive”, I corrected.

“Enter Valley Performance”, Susan said, “we specialize in Drivetrain and engine conversions.”

“We do that at Draconian Customs”, I said, “we've moved stuff from front wheel drive back to rear wheel drive where it belongs.”

“Agreed”, Susan turned back to Joe, “by the way the fliers worked, there's a huge crowd gathered at the festival to see your cars, take it easy when you leave the air port, the roads are jammed with supercars.”

Joe rubbed his hands, “awesome. It's great to see you again Susie.”

“Same here brother”, Susan replied.

“Oh and Seth?”, Joe said.

“Yeah?” I asked.

“Your a fan of the Great Eight right?”