20: stormy eyed saviour

T W E N T Y

♡♡♡

Alette's POV

"H-hi."

My voice sounded foreign to my own ears. There was a ringing in my ears and pounding in my head as I blinked my eyes slowly.

"Alette," my name was a whisper on his lips.

I slowly moved to sit up but the pain made me wince and fall back. Aresius moved towards me immediately, but before he could touch me the door burst open and three nurses as well as the doctor walked into the room.

The next little bit was spent with the doctor and nurses checking over me and asking me questions about how I felt and if there was anything that was hurting me. They helped me sit up slightly as they assessed the state of my stitches. Aresius had been pushed out of the room at some point and I saw as he stood in the hallway, speaking lowly on his phone.

He ended the call and his eyes fell on me, but I averted my gaze, looking down.

"Well Faye, welcome back, I'm so glad you're awake! I want to do some scans later on, but I think you should be okay to go home by tonight or tomorrow! Please don't hesitate if you have any questions, or if you feel any pain," the Dr. Munroe said with a smile.

This wasn't the first time that I had been under Dr. Munroe's care; she had operated on me a few times before, and I trusted her judgement.

I nodded my head very slowly, "Thank you," I whispered, my throat still feeling dry. They all left the room, talking amongst themselves and I leaned back in the bed.

The silence in the room made all of the events that had taken place rush back into my head, and my heart pounded in fear.

Did that really happen?

Why did that have to happen?

I could feel tears prickling at my eyes and I sniffed, quickly wiping at my eyes when I heard the door open.

He walked into the room and I looked down at my lap. As he got closer to me, I sucked in a breath, which caused me to start coughing on account of my dry throat. He quickly grabbed me some water and brought it up to my mouth. He held it up to my lips, tilted the cup forwards so I could drink. I took slow sips until finally my throat didn't feel as dry.

I softly placed my hand on his hand to signal to him that I was finished, and he moved the cup away from my mouth and placed it on the table.

I felt water on the side of my mouth, but before I could wipe it away, his hand cupped my jaw, ever so softly, as if he was afraid of breaking me, and he used his thumb to wipe away the water at the corner of my lip.

I looked into his eyes as he stared back at me. His features looked soft, and my heart thudded, embarrassingly obvious in the heart monitor. His eyes scanned the entirety of my face and I couldn't look away.

Where would I be if he hadn't found me that night?

No wonder he was upset with you that day at his house, you couldn't even take care of yourself. Stupid.

With that thought, I turned my face away, causing his hand to fall back. I looked down at my hands as I heard him audibly suck in a breath. There was a silence for a few moments, until he finally spoke.

"Alette," his voice seemed deeper than usual.

When I didn't reply, he waited a moment, and then spoke louder.