25: her heart

T W E N T Y  -  F I V E

♡♡♡

Aresius' POV

I sat in my office at STAMP, leaning back onto my office chair, my legs spread out in front of me. I played the answering machine, which notified me of a voicemail that was left for me.

"Adler? Hi it's Detective Fox, I just wanted to give you an update, as you asked. The man that we took from custody has been in interrogation and holding for a little while now, with no bail posted. His DNA was also matched to a few other assault crime scenes, and now we're giving him a deal to help us find where he hid the bodies, just so the families will get closure. He'll go on trial after, and I have no doubt that he'll get multiple life sentences. Thanks for your help, talk soon."

The machine beeped.

I then looked at the screen of computer for the fiftieth time today, checking the security cameras, and all of the sensors on my house.

I had to, very reluctantly, leave today for work. I had been in meetings all morning at the District Attorney's office, and then at the site of a Women and Children's shelter that I was paying to be built. I had come into STAMP and was swamped with tattoo shop work, which usually got placed on the back burner. Then I met with the tactical team that got back from a mission this morning. Now I sat waiting in my office for Sylvester to show up.

My phone beeped with a notification, and I picked it up, unlocking quickly.

Tai-Ryu Williams: Everyone's good here boss, I'm just working, Alette + Ada are in the living room. Alette is catching up on some classes I think, she took her medicine and ate.

My shoulders relaxed; I knew she was fine because I had spent the day checking up on the outside security cameras, and making sure all the doors were locked, but hearing a confirmation made me breathe easier.

Another message popped up on my phone and I picked my phone back up quickly.

Tai-Ryu Williams: Not to overstep or anything but, you can always call her you know? Instead of texting me every hour. She keeps looking at her phone, maybe she's waiting for a call?

I read his words slowly as he messaged again.

Tai-Ryu Williams: Respectfully tho.

Tai-Ryu Williams: Don't like fire me or anything, I was just suggesting it.

I locked my phone, placing it face down on the table in front of me. I leaned my head back on the chair, closing my eyes.

Leaving her this morning had been hell. She had shyly climbed into my bed last night while I was getting ready to sleep.

She kept her space at first, and I knew that she felt as if she was being a burden again.

My heart went out to her; being so young and bearing a loss so enormous.

I let her take her time at first, but the moment she inched slightly closer to me, I pulled her body flush against mine, her head on my heart

The heart that had decided it would only beat for her now.

She slept on me the entire night, not that I minded; I found out that she tended to mumble in her sleep, and pout and smile.

I tried not to bother her sleeping frame too much when I got up to get ready for work, but when I walked out of the bathroom after my shower, she was awake. She sat groggily on the bed, her head tilted sideways. She stared at me as I put my belt on my dark grey slacks, and had asked me where I was going.