27: his past

T W E N T Y - S E V E N

♡♡♡

Aresius' POV

I sat in front of a pile of paperwork, willing myself to focus on what was in front of me.

I let out a sigh, signing the bottom of the contract, and placed my pen on the table. I leaned my head back in my seat and shut my eyes, rubbing the dull ache in the back of my neck with my fingers.

Despite the pain and the mountain of work in front of me, I felt more at peace than I ever had before. The air was still and calm, my mind and body felt light.

I felt alive.

My heart and soul felt alive, and a fire coursed through my veins.

Because of her.

The sound of a ring on my security sensors made my eyes shoot open, and I looked at the security screen.

It was Tai and Karter.

I unlocked the door using a button on my computer, and heard their chatter as they entered the house. Knowing where they would find me, they made their way to my office without any prompting. I heard the sounds of their voices walking down the hall and past the kitchen until they stopped at the wooden door of my office.

I heard a single knock, and I cleared my throat, "Come in."

The door slowly swung opening, revealing the Tai and Karter, who both walked into the room.

"Hi Adler," Tai smiled, whilst Karter just nodded at me.

The two were dressed completely oppositely, with Tai wearing a light blue dress shirt and grey slacks and Karter wearing workout gear. Tai held two square shaped things, wrapped in brown paper, and Karter held a stack of files.

More work.

They sat down in front of me, Tai opening the buttons of his sleeves and rolling them up.

"I was just with the sergeant, there's been a string of kidnapping outside of our area. He was asking if we could take a look at them on the down low," Tai told me, his voice grave.

I nodded once, "I'll speak with him."

I turned my eyes onto Karter who cleared his throat to speak.

"I did a training course with some new recruits, but I don't think most of them are fit for us. I think they would work better on some kind of law enforcement agency," he said, making me grit my teeth.

"Not one?" I asked, knowing that our job was tough, and not everyone was cut out for it.

He shook his head, "On another note, the beta team is ready to go on the search and rescue tomorrow."

I nodded, picking up some of the papers in front of me and slipping them into their respective file.

I handed three of them to Karter, and one to Tai.

"You're off next week," I said to Tai, not looking up from the papers I was reading. "Take two weeks off if you want."

"Oh that's not necessary Boss, honestly, I don't need to take any time off, I know how much work we have right now," Tai rushed out.

I looked up at him, "You've got exams, take the time off," I told him, my voice strict, knowing how much pressure he was under, and how badly he wanted to get into Law School.

He nodded, "Thanks Adler," he said gratefully.

My eyes flitted back down to the papers, wanting to make sure they were finished so the two of them could take them.