Chapter 9

George

Let's call, I wanna tell you some stuff.

George fidgets with the hem of his hoodie when he sends the message through, then sits back in his chair and tries to suppress the growing grin on his face.

It might not even be him, he scolds to himself as he fails to hide his happiness, You're basing this all on speculation.

And yet somewhere deep in his chest, he knows it's true.

The fact that Dream is his soulmate makes sense just as water being transparent makes sense, and feels so natural that George is once again set into disbelief at how it took him so many years to come to the realization. Even he has to admit his obliviousness can be pretty severe sometimes.

He looks down at his soulmark again, bandaid-free and on show for George to look at whenever he pleases. It's no longer a reminder of his anxiety and insecurities, but the promise of happiness and warmth. Dream has an identical one on him somewhere, and George likes to imagine that he looks at it with just as much fondness as George does when he figures out that they're soulmates.

George suddenly remembers the pack of bandaids still sitting abandoned in his Amazon shopping cart, and he reaches over to his mouse to switch tabs and cancel the order.

He doesn't need it anymore. The soulmark may still be distracting, yes, but in the best way possible, and George is not about to deprive himself of such happiness.

The Discord call sound rings in his headphones, and George sucks in a surprised breath before seeing the call coming from Dream. Trying not to sound too ecstatic and joyful, George takes two deep breathes before pressing the green button that connects their call.

"Hi George," Dream's voice fills his space, "What's up?"

"Are you in a hurry?" George asks, making sure that his big announcement won't be cut off by Dream's busy schedules nowadays, "It's sort of important and I didn't want you to be caught with it in the middle of something."

"No no, you're all good," Dream replies, "This is serious, huh?"

"A little yeah," George blushes a little as nerves crash through his brain, "It's about something I think I figured out lately."

Dream hums to let George know he's listening, and George looks to his soulmark for moral support before continuing his speech.

Remember, Dream has an identical one on him.

The thought calms him down immensely, and he sits back in his seat to better relax as he talks.

"You know how we rarely talk about soulmark and soulmate stuff?" George starts, immediately realizing that he's talking quicker than usual and slowing down, "Despite being best friends for so long?"

"Oh, yeah," Dream remarks from the other end of the line, "I remember you said something about being distracted lately? You wanna talk about it?"

"Yeah, um... The distraction, right. It was mostly because I was nervous about not being able to find a soulmate, the whole 'once you hit 27' thing, you know? Made me a bit anxious," he laughs a little here to lift the atmosphere which has dropped since he brought up the unhappiness from before.

George can hear Dream's elbow coming up to rest on his desk and knows he has his full attention now.

"Oh, George..." the way Dream says it makes George so disgustingly mushy, just because it's so soft and comforting and a million things that make him feel better.

He feels like he'll cry happy tears

"Dream," George cuts him off before he can actually say anything else, he laughs a little, "Don't worry about it. I've gotten over it now, because I think..."