Chapter 3

Yippee!! I've got a case. A real one for this time. I jump in my bedroom (only room actually) in excitement.

Satiating my hunger with some food. I take the case file and read it further. The first lead for the case is Mr. Ray Palmer. He is the one who hired the agency to look into this case. Packing the case file and some necessary things in my bag I step out of the home and step in a cab.

The cab driver looked very happy to me. He was humming the song, "Life is so wonderful la la." Ignoring his irritating and untrue song I continued reading the case file in the back seat.

"You look so tensed, little girl," says the driver.

The old man looked about the age of sixty. But I absolutely hate it when someone calls me a little girl. So I reject the grandpa's sweet talk request and continue my reading.

"Maybe I can help you, sweetie. Just talk to me."

Seriously? Why can't people take a hint? Especially men.

"Thanks for offering your help grandpa. But this isn't for the light-hearted ones," I reply in my sweetest tone. Not actually.

"Try me. I have a heart of platinum," he says with conviction.

Totally annoyed I start talking. "Emily Palmer met Danny Brown on 26/11. Three days later she disappeared. What do you think he did to her?"

"Maybe they fell in love and ran away from family who didn't accept them," he says laughing. Then continues humming the untrue song, "Life is wonderful la la."

"Sarah Greene. 21. Dark ash brown hair, light brown skin, and light green eyes. This is the description from before her murder.

After murder only her head was found, it had no eyes. Hair was dark red soaked in blood. The skin color of the face was white probably cause frozen for days," I read about a victim from Danny's file.

"CREEP! GET THE HELL OUT!" He stops the car with an abrupt brake panting heavily.

"What happened to Platinum heart?" I ask putting the file in my bag.

"SHUT UP!!" he yells out loud putting a hand over his chest.

As soon as I step out of the cab, he stomps on the gas and speeds away. Without taking the cab fare of course.

Dread it. Run From it. Destiny arrives all the same. Now it's here. Or should I say? I am because I see Mr. Palmer's construction site right in front of my eyes.

"You must be Olivia Denver." Mr. Palmer greets me with a smile. In his fifties, the man is dressed in a grey shirt with a yellow helmet on his head.

"Yes, you're right." I shake hands with him. "Tell me about your case. Don't leave out any detail."

"My daughter Emily was a sales manager in his town. On 26th November she met this serial killer. 3 days later she just disappeared completely."

"You filed a missing report at a police station?" I ask.

"Yes. They arrested Danny Brown, the only person she had met outside her company."

"How did you know he is a serial killer?"

"Although never proved with any evidence. This guy has a weird track record. People from around him just disappear. Some get found in form of dead bodies some never come in light."

"Why did you approach the detective agency?"

"The cops have never found single evidence against him. Either he's too smart or cops are too dumb. So I had to look for another way. I have to save my daughter." His eyes well up with tears.

"You think she is still alive. It's been more than six months." I state only the fact but he starts crying even harder.

"Please find her. And make him pay for his sins," he says with folded hands. Two men grab him from behind as he almost falls crying.

"I'll do my best," I say in my usual flat tone and turn back. My heart starts beating faster out of grief or fear I don't know.

Walking out of the construction site, I stand near the road. Since the place is a bit away from the city, I see no cabs available in the ride-hailing app.

Shit! I should not have scared that grandpa-like taxi driver. But it was fun though and I also got the free ride for the second time now.

With a happy smile, I extend my hand to a vintage car coming towards me. The car stops and the driver a bit older than me asks, "Where are you heading to?"

"The Lanstroop Town."

"That's on my way. Get in."

Wow! I managed to get another free ride. Life is so wonderful la la. I hum the grandpa's song full of joy.

If only I would have waited for a little I wouldn't have hummed that so untrue song.

I get in and put my bag over the backseat. The car speeds up.

"You had good sleep?" asks the man looking towards the empty seat beside him.

"Whom are you talking to?" I ask amused.

"My girlfriend," he says in a flat tone just like me.

"Is she a ghost?" I say laughing that stops when he replies, "Yes."

"How did she die?" I ask only a little frightened.

"I killed her."

"CREEP! LET ME THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR!"