Chapter 20

Our professor's words startle me but I don't have time to ponder what else he could mean, as we very quickly catch up with the rest of the group and judging by the look that both Alex and Andre share, they already know of our plan and they don't agree at all. The second we are out of the earshot of passers-by, both boys start protesting against our idea. Mentioning that we've only been training in defence and have done very little offensive training, they outline a trillion reasons why we should reconsider. Alex shoots me a disapproving look and I squirm uncomfortably.

Of course, he's right. Our idea is off-the-scale risky but I can't seem to see past the fact that I don't want to keep living life looking over my shoulder. It's been so hard on my body and my brain being so on edge all the time. It feels like I have no control over anything at all anymore. To make matters worse, I feel like there's nothing I can do to change that. Only now, there is. Setting this trap could give me back that control. I can't take the stress anymore. I just need the pressure to stop. I need it to go away. And yes, I will do anything I can to make that happen.

So when the boys start advising us against setting a trap, I immediately object and tell them I'm sure we can do it. Insisting it's the perfect opportunity, I mentally scrounge for other ideas that may convince them. Although I only need the girls to agree, I'd feel more comfortable if the boys agreed too.

The entire time I'm talking, Perrie's eyes are focused on me and are filled with worry and empathy. It feels like she's staring into my soul but I try not to let it put me off. Due to the boys' pestering, Leigh and Jesy start to rethink the idea and panic begins to rise within me. No matter what we decide, Boss-man is coming for the chemical whether we want him to or not. We could use this as an opportunity or wait like sitting ducks. Personally, I'd like it to be the first. The second is something I've been dreading since the last time we saw Boss-man.

When I run out of things to say, I very anxiously trail off into silence and everyone else starts talking at the same time. Perrie's eyes remain on me and then when I go quiet she turns to Alex and whispers something. Alex wraps his arm around her and listens intently with his eyes on the ground. Nodding every so often, when she stops whispering he mutters something to her and then they tune back into the conversation.

Leigh-Anne is convinced this is a bad idea and Jesy is hovering on the border. I feel the hope in my heart dying as I realise that this might not be happening.

"Hang on a second guys, maybe we should consider this," Perrie says carefully, "if we set a trap, maybe we could stop him and put an end to this nightmare once and for all. I mean, we're spending hours of our time preparing for a fight but we don't know when that fight is coming. Not knowing is a massive disadvantage and could quite literally be the death of us."

"She's right," Alex agrees, "I mean I don't know about you lot but I like being alive. It's very important to me." A smile forms on everyone's faces despite the situation.

Andre seems surprised by Alex's sudden change of opinion, but nods regardless and considers his friend's opinion, "you really think we're ready, for a massive step like this?"

"I think we've got a target on our backs, and we're practically gasping for air," Alex replies respectfully. "If we go through with this, it'll give us some more room to breathe."

Andre and Leigh remain as the two who still don't agree. Upon Alex and Perrie's agreement, Jesy goes back to her original opinion of wanting to do it. We have a majority but I won't force Leigh and Andre to be involved if they don't want to be. Leigh looks incredibly uncomfortable. Andre looks thoughtful.

"I have an idea," he says after a few minutes of silence, "why don't we fight Jade?"

My eyes nearly pop out of my skull. "If you don't want to be part of it, you don't have to!" I exclaim defensively, "there's no need to beat me up." Andre and Alex burst out laughing, causing the girls and me to send them confused looks.