Chapter 1

Where is it? Where is it? Where is it?

I swear I put it in here somewhere. Double checked and triple checked so I wouldn't have this problem. Seriously, why am I like this? Who plans for every situation that could possibly occur but then can't find their shit when they need...

Oh, there it is.

Sighing in relief, I scan my ID card on the receiver and amble into the building. Shoving it into a small pocket in my bag and I pull out my phone to check my timetable. The introductory lecture doesn't start for another twenty minutes but I decided to get here earlier to have a look around, so I know where all the lab rooms and lecture halls are situated. Advancing up the stairs I only manage to get up one flight of steps before being stopped by security.

"Sorry, no students allowed down here today."

Politely nodding, I glance down the corridor behind him and then turn to leave, wondering why I'm not allowed. Looking back again in confusion when I get to the top of the stairs, I notice a flash of police uniform, which confuses me even more.

"Apparently, there's something in this building that shouldn't be here," a voice says making me jump. A dark-skinned girl stands behind me, staring down past the security guard in curiosity. First thing I notice is her amazing fashion sense. She's wearing an outfit I couldn't pull off if my life depended on it. Her hair is loosely wavey and falls over her shoulders and her brown eyes are shining like her highlighted cheekbones. "Sorry, hi. I'm Leigh-Anne. I recognise you from the applicant experience day."

Shaking her outstretched hand, I smile as I remember her too. "I'm Jade. I remember you too. Enthusiastic girl with a damn good style."

"Oh my gosh, thank you!" she blushes, grinning widely. We both turn back to the blocked-off corridor, watching it curiously.

"What do you suppose it is?" I wonder out loud turning back to the restricted corridor.

"I'm not sure but it's being moved under police protection soon. Until then, we've got the cops patrolling about the place, and we're not having any lab sessions," she shrugs. The security guard gives us both a disgusted look, so we head down the stairs before we get into trouble, but our minds are still buzzing in questions.

"Isn't that dangerous?" I suddenly say, realising the implications of having the police guarding it.

"Extremely," she nods enthusiastically, her eyes shining in exhilaration. "Isn't it exciting?" Noticing the bewildered look on my face she laughs and follows me back to the lecture theatre on the ground floor. "Were you wanting to look around?"

"Yeah, I came early to remind myself where all the rooms were," I reply, leaning against the wall, "I don't remember much from the applicant experience day to be honest. It feels like a lifetime ago."

It really does. I applied for university over a year ago but for some reason, I couldn't imagine actually being here. Even after I finally decided what I wanted to do and accepted my conditional offer in the summer, I still couldn't picture myself studying here. Now I am finally here, it all feels a bit overwhelming.

As Leigh-Anne and I exchange pleasantries and get to know each other better, other first years notice her and stop to chat. Not wanting to awkwardly cling to her side, when students start to enter the lecture room and I follow them in, leaving her to speak to her friends. Sitting down in the first seat I see, I pull out my notebook and pen, and place them on the surface in front of me. I'm well aware that I'm the only student who's decided to take a seat at the front of the lecture hall, but I'm way too nervous to sit anywhere else.

Twenty minutes later, I lift my head to assess the scene before me, realising the lecturer is not even here. It looks like a majority of the year one Optometry cohort is present, yet the lecturer is not. An email was sent by the university, where we were informed that if we arrived later than five minutes past the hour marking the start of a lecture, we wouldn't get our attendance mark. So, how come it's okay for the lecturer to be late?