Chapter 32

By the time we arrive, the party is just getting started. The car park looks full, but Leigh informs me there should be a space reserved for the guest of honour and then my eyes fall on the two cones in front of the parking space right next to the door. We take our time getting out of the car, fixing ourselves up as Alex comes outside dressed up as Spiderman. His eyes land on us and he jogs over.

"Very original babe," Perrie laughs, taking in his appearance.

"You know in the movies, Tom Holland has to wear a thong underneath his Spiderman suit," Jesy mentions and I hold in a laugh.

Although it's dark, I see the colour drain from Alex's face as Perrie approaches him slowly and smirks, "are you wearing a thong underneath that suit, baby?"

His eyes are wide and we all burst out laughing as he defends himself, "of course not!" Shaking his head at us, he rolls his eyes and tells us that the party guests are doing it like a surprise party, even though I know what's going on. All the lights go off in the building and the previous booming from the speakers and buzz from the guests dies down, and everything goes quiet. The girls release an excited squeal, smoothing out their outfits and taking a deep breath in.

"We're about to make an entrance like you've never seen," Leigh avows as Alex holds the door open for us to enter.

The girls allow me to go in first and as I step inside, at the sound of my heels on the floor the lights flicker on and everyone screams, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Their volume makes the ground shake slightly and my heart rate skyrockets. Fixing a smile on my face despite the sinking feeling in my stomach, I begin the tour of the hall, hugging everyone who steps forward to greet me, thanking them for coming, and then doing the same with the next group of people. Most of the people are from school and sixth form, probably excited to reunite with their friends after being apart for so long. I doubt a majority of them are here for me.

We locate Andre, Sam and Jed at the back of the hall, by the drinks table. Andre is dressed as Drake, and he and Leigh look so good together as he wraps his arm around her, proudly showing her off. Sam is dressed as the genie from Aladdin and I break out into a smile.

"The genie huh?" I comment not hiding how impressed I am by this choice.

"Well, I know it's your favourite Disney Princess movie," he flicks his Arabian style jacket back, "tonight I will grant you whatever your heart desires." A feeling of great warmth overtakes me and I find myself smiling in excitement. Someone clears their throat awkwardly and my head snaps in his direction. I didn't take the time to see how Jed was dressed but as my eyes land on him, my breath hitches in my throat and his signature smirk catches me off guard and I forget to mask my emotions.

"David Attenborough," I whisper, in shock that he even remembers. Trapped in an intense stare, my eyes remained fixated on Jed's eyes, which are swirling with so many emotions I couldn't name a single one of them. Sam furrows his brows and looks between us in confusion. Surprise at Jed's gesture renders me utterly speechless and I don't respond when Sam asks what's going on. 

Jed recovers faster, and replies, "she's obsessed with Attenborough documentaries," all the while never taking his eyes off me. I don't see Sam's reaction as I'm too busy trying to find the strength to tear my eyes away from Jed. 
"Happy Birthday, poppet," he sends me his most charming smile, making the elephants in my stomach decide they're not dancing vividly enough and I subconsciously bring a hand to my abdomen. "You look stunning if it isn't obvious," he adds, with a small, awe-stricken smile.

"Thank you," my hazy mind is able to allow me to respond. Forcefully tearing my eyes away from him, I look at Sam, who appears very uncomfortable. I ask him if he wants anything to drink and he nods, insisting we walk over to the table to get it together. Happily agreeing, I resist the urge to look back at Jed, who is suspended in place.