Chapter 26

Ever since this madness started, we've been trying to find a way to stop the Psychopath from getting his hands on the chemical but we've been so focused on readying ourselves for a fight that we haven't realised we've been fighting a losing battle. It's like playing tag. Eventually, we're going to get tired and he's going to catch up to us. We are like sitting ducks. 

Instead of waiting around for him to come to us again, we need to be doing something about this chemical. Now, I don't know much about chemistry but there must be a way we can neutralise this or dilute it or some such thing. If we can do that, then it doesn't matter if he comes for the chemical because it'll be harmless anyway and we can fight him in the knowledge that if we fail, we don't put the world in danger. 

Makes sense right?

It sounds so perfect, it may be too good to be true. As I drive to university the next day, my mind buzzes with the hope that this could be the best plan we've come up with. It's a safety net and carrying it out shouldn't be a problem. We have an entire university building of lab rooms and equipment to use. More than that, a library with chemistry books could potentially point us in the right direction. Either way, we can figure this out and make it work. Fingers crossed.

Last night after Jed's words made this idea pop into mind, I sent a text out in the groupchat, requesting everyone to meet me before their Monday lectures started. Andre suggested we meet outside the accommodations around one of the fountains. It's a little bit of a walk from where I am but I don't mind it. It's been a while since I've been able to walk somewhere and get some fresh air, alone. I know Psycho is still on the loose but I have a strong feeling he won't be coming after us just yet.

When I get there, we're still waiting on Leigh-Anne to get down from her flat. Ten minutes later, she hastily rushes out the door with pink-tinted cheeks and apologises for keeping us waiting. Everyone else chuckles as Andre playfully teases her about sleeping in, even when he rang her an hour ago to wake her up.

Relaying my idea for the chemical to them, they all nod with wide eyes and Perrie even facepalms, complaining that she doesn't know why she didn't think of it before. My heart lifts as they all talk at once about how this would be the best step moving forwards until Jesy bursts our bubbles, informing us she's not sure if we'll be able to do that on our own. Reminding us that if we could do that, her dead professor probably would have done it the same day they created the damn thing. 

Shoulders slump as my heart deflates again. It perks up a bit again when Jesy agrees it's a good plan and she could still look into possible ways of dilution and neutralisations. She asks what we've all got on today as she only has one lecture between four and six. The boys and Perrie state their lecture times and then Leigh-Anne, Sam and I mention our two-hour lecture, followed by a day full of Slit-lamp assessments. All of us have them at different times. I think Sam has his an hour after our lecture ends. Leigh has hers at half two and I have mine at three. 

Jesy tells us she's going to spend all day in the library going through some books and browsing the internet for any ideas. The rest of us promise to join her during our frees. Speaking of her last lecture, she claims she'll be able to get into a lab room straight from the lecture theatre and so when she does, she'll send us the lab room number and we will be able to join her there.

With that we nod in agreement, Perrie heads to the library with Jesy, whilst Andre and Alex scuttle off to their morning practical and Leigh, Sam and I jog up to the Optometry building for our Monday lecture. A two-hour-long lecture filled with information about the various ways you can record a patient's visual acuity. Outlining the importance of the two major methods that are Snellen and VAR, it is explained that other methods can still be used and are popular in countries around the world.