Chapter 37

I wake up hours later and turn my body in my seat to see if the girls are okay. They are still sleeping, but in their laps are wrappers of food. Norma says she stopped off to get them some food when they explained they hadn't eaten and points to the burger meal she also got me. Shaking my head, I assure her I'm not hungry and look outside.

Furrowing my brows in confusion, I realise we are in some sort of elevator shaft that is lowering itself down. My eyes flicker over to Norma but her gaze remains fixated on an invisible spot on the windscreen, making me roll my eyes. Suddenly the shaft stops abruptly and the girls are shaken awake.

"Where are we?" Perrie asks, looking around in confusion, as the wrappers fall to the ground.

"Welcome to Stonehenge," Norma smiles, looking elated to be able to say the words, "or more specifically our main HQ, located under Stonehenge."

"The HQ of what?" Jesy asks as a giant metal door opens in front of the car and Norma slowly drives into a large hanger filled with similar-looking armoured cars. Bringing the car to a halt, she turns off the ignition and we all jump out in curiosity. The men in suits are all walking around writing things on clipboards and unloading weaponry from the trucks. Camera's are being passed between them all as they share the pictures they took and discuss them quietly.

"The Legion," Perrie recites the two words plastered on the wall and we all turn to Norma, waiting for further explanation.

"A secret organisation that deals with everything that goes bump in the night, from supernaturals to extraterrestrials," Michael Ortega approaches us, jumping out of his truck. "We have many bases all over the world, with a couple of agents in every continent but this is our main HQ, hence the size of it."

Yeah, that's going to take a second to sink in.

"I've been watching you girls these past few weeks," he folds his arms, exuding an aura, unlike his regular optometry lecturer vibe. "Despite the millions of odds stacked against you, you actually managed to catch an alien that we have been after for a very long time. Kudos to you all."

"You mean, you've been watching us be troubled by this and you did nothing to help even though this kind of thing is supposed to be your responsibility?" Leigh-Anne takes the angry words right out of my mouth.

"Actually I think it was Attila's underestimation of you, that allowed you to take him down," Michael shrugs, not sounding even a tiny bit apologetic and I resist the urge to punch his stupid face. I wonder if he could have me thrown out of university for that. "You did a lot better than any of us wagered."

The four of us shake our heads at him feeling utterly baffled. Perrie asks Norma if she was in on this and she diverts her gaze uncomfortably. Of course, she was in on it. It's not even something surprising. In fact, I suspect it was all her idea. And just when I thought she might have had some redeeming qualities. My friends turn to me wearily, expecting me to start yelling at her.

Instead, I roll my eyes unbothered and then ask, "where are the boys? Is Sam..."

"Samuel is fine," Michael quickly tells me, thankfully putting a stop to my panicking heart. "The two boys are with him in recovery, right now. We have the best medical care here, which is useful considering what we deal with. If you'll follow Agent James, he'll take you up to the medical wing."

We approach him as Jesy asks if he is Agent James to confirm and he says, "call me Harry."

It isn't until he turns around that I realise who he is and point at him in shock, "you're the head of the optometry society." I hear Leigh-Anne gasp as she registers his familiar face.