Chapter 28

After our almost-in-a-lot-of-trouble moment, we stay well within the bounds of university rules. With January exams drawing near and coursework looming, we have plenty to keep us busy for the last week of university. Indulging in some gruelling sessions of training, while we're all still in town we spend even more time in each others company. Despite the horrid circumstances that brought us together, I'm really going to miss them when they all go home. Alex and Perrie live in town of course, but my past with Perrie is a subject we have long yet avoided and so I don't think it's appropriate for us to hang out without the others around too.

I spend the last week entirely at university, only returning to Norma's house for an hour or two in the day, to change and shower. The group and I spent the nights revising and working in the group study area. People came and went but we remained in the same place. The sofa and computer cluster in the corner, where we don't disturb anyone. Warmth engulfs me as I am surrounded by a better friendship group than I've ever had. A warmth that is threatened by the end of semester date drawing near.

Leigh-Anne, Andre, Jesy and Sam are due to leave for Christmas, on Friday. They said they aren't due to return until just before New Years Day.  Luckily they didn't suggest we go get something to eat beforehand because I couldn't eat a bite. Anxiety about most of them leaving is starting to stress me out as it means I'll be spending my time in the library alone.

I confronted Norma about her interest in Banshees and what it has to do with Leigh and outright told me she doesn't think I can handle anything more at the moment. She might as well have just said one of my new friends is supernatural because both things translate to the same meaning. However, I didn't bring it up with Leigh because I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable again. I just thought it was cool, to know I'm not the odd one out. Knowing that one of my friends is special too puts me at ease that maybe there's more to our group being brought together than we know. 

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. 

Either way, it'll be hard to let them go when I've grown so used to their presence. Their comfort has partially filled the gigantic hole left when my mum passed and with them gone, I don't know how I will cope. Even with the masses of revision that needs doing, and the number of coaches and minibuses that have been requested over the holidays keeping me busy, I know my mind will wander and the grief I've been holding back will crash down on me. The last time I let the grief overwhelm me, I let out a cry so powerful that it reignited the house on fire.

Another reason I have to keep control and not let my emotions take over. 

Friday arrives relatively quickly and I sigh sadly as we pack up the second home we've set up in the corner of the group study area. Despite the fact that I plan on coming back every day regardless of who is going home, I pack up because there won't be someone here at all times so I can't just leave my things lying around. There are a few hugs and some handshakes as we all say our goodbyes and head off in our respective ways. Andre is set to drive Leigh home and drop Jesy off on the way because her hometown isn't too far from theirs. Sam is getting the train to town around an hour away and he squeezes me extra tightly, placing a sweet kiss on my forehead in farewell.

"I'll have my phone on at all times, okay," he promises, "if you ever want to talk, you ring me straight away." Smiling in response, I wave as I watch him walk away. He seems to be the only one who realises how much I don't want them to go. The others are too high on family-Christmas bliss and I don't even blame them. I'm dreading Christmas day because it's the one day in the year where the library is shut all day and I'll actually have to stay at Norma's.

On the bright side, Danielle is returning from Law School in Manchester on Monday, so I can spend time with her and I won't have to be alone. But first I need to get through the weekend. Once everyone has left, I go back to Norma's, change, shower, and pick up a few small snacks. Then I pick up the business work from the yard, I take it to university and do it there. Being in the yard alone is quite possibly the worst thing I could do, and it's the one thing I haven't been able to do yet.