ii. bonfire hotdogs.

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

THE SUN SHINES WAY TOO EARLY ON THE POGUES. Usually, the first on his feet is John B. At the crack of dawn, he's already brushing his teeth and making breakfast, ready to start the day while his best friends still lay scattered around his house. But today was different, though, today he didn't wake up as early, in fact, he woke up when the clock marked 12 pm, and when he did walk out of his room, most of the Pogues were already awake.

Still with no shirt on, John B flushes the toilet as he walks out of the bathroom and down the hallway. Sensing movement from his right, he casually peeks into the room to find JJ and a random blonde chick on the bed, making him quickly divert his gaze away

"Dude! Come on, man. Get outta here," JJ complains as John B closes the door on the two, not wanting a permanent trauma in his conscience.

He continues walking down the short hall as he reaches the living room, where Kie lays with her phone on the pull out sofa, still tiredly sprawled on the mattress.

"Morning Kie," he greets.

She raises her hand, "Morning,"

John B grabs a beer and a picture frame from the dining table and hangs it back up on the wall. The picture displays an old photo of John B's father and his mother, the man pulling a funny pose at the camera as the woman appears to be caught in a genuine laugh. He watches the picture for a long second, admiring his long father and his untraceable mother. With his father lost at sea after going after a shipwreck and her mother, who split when he was three, John B merely has a picture to remember the couple that used to be his protectors. Now he only has his best friends, and that's mostly why he values them so much.

Twitching a small smile, he turns away and looks at another picture above the one he just hung.

"Uncle T," he exclaims as he clinks the spout of his beer against the picture.

Uncle T was supposed to be John B's legal guardian ever since his dad vanished, but apparently, he's all the way in Mississippi, building houses for whatever reason. None of the Pogues really want to say it, but they're all pretty certain that 'Uncle T' is most definitely more absent than John B's father himself.

Turning away from the picture, the boy starts his way for the back door.

"Didn't Oak sleep with you?" he asks Kiara on his way.

"She crashed on the hammock. Favorite spot," she replies without ungluing her eyes from her phone, and John B chuckles tenderly.

He continues outside as he finds Pope laying on the couch, looking like a homeless man who hasn't slept in more than a week and a half.

"Hey,"

"Oy,"

John B high fives the boy and continues outside, skipping down the steps and walking over to the hammock. When he arrives next to the red-striped hammock he isn't surprised to find the 16-year-old still out like a light. With her head gently lolled to one side, mouth ajar, an arm behind her head, and the other hanging from the flying bed, John B chuckles as he notices the beer bottle hanging from the girl's limp hand. When his eyes meet the bottle they lower to find Bali awake and he crouches down to rub his head playfully.