xvi. untying knots.

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

HOW NO ONE FOUND OUT OF HER ESCAPADE yesterday is beyond Oakley, but she decides against dwelling too much on the thought and simply lets it be as she carries on with her life as a mischief. The next morning she wakes up late, at about twelve o'clock or perhaps just a few minutes earlier, and when she does come back to life, realization dawns upon her like a punch straight across her face.

She'd told JJ to come by, and she was dead asleep.

Grabbing the phone in a rush, the girl finds five missed calls and thirteen text messages from the blonde as she slaps a hand on her forehead and pulls at her hair harshly.

"Shit," she mutters, jumping off her bed.

Bali stands up when the girl suddenly gets on her feet at a desperate pace. She runs into her walk-in closet and eagerly slides her body into a bandeau black top, denim shorts, her vans, and a short-sleeved Hawaiian shirt to put over— topping off the outfit with a red bandanna tying two strands of her hair behind her head as the rest of her hair flows freely on her back.

When she's all cleaned up and bathed in her tropical berries perfume, she dials JJ's ID and puts in on speaker as she forces her feet into the shoes. However, just as the line rings once, an incoming call from Pope intercepts with the signal, and the processing call to JJ's phone is cut.

Oakley's eyebrows furrow as she answers the phone.

   "Oak?"

   "Hey, Pope,"

   "We have kind of a code red. JJ and John B are. . . sort of stranded in the marsh. Engine failed and they need a tow,"

Oakley sighs as her foot finally slips into the shoe.

   "Okay, and why do you guys need me?"

She hears Kie behind him say something along the lines of 'I ask myself the same thing' before Pope interrupts.

   "You're the only one who can predict the weather,"

Oakley's face scrunches in sheer puzzlement and Pope's eyes widen at the realization of his miserable excuse, making quickly supply a change in the subject.

   "Uh, I- we- I'll be outside in two, be ready,"

And then the line dies and Oakley blinks at the wreck that the call was. She slips her other foot onto the shoe and stands up, giving little jumps to get her soles used to the shoe inserts and walking to her mirror. She gives herself a look over and sighs before walking towards her balcony and peeking to see the HMS Pogue approach her dock with a low hum.

Today Arthur works til late, Rowan goes golfing with Rafe, Stella has friends over and Jackson joins Bea to run some errands— granting the middle child the freedom she needs as she sneaks out of her house, climbing down the ladder, and landing on the dock.