xxiv. your attention was overdue

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

WHEN BEATRICE ARRIVES HOME right after being unable to find Oakley for nearly 4 hours, the chaos inside the house does little to ease her panic. As soon as she enters the door, she finds her two oldest kids sitting in the living room, their faces drenched in an unreadable expression and legs bouncing anxiously. As soon as the door clicks open and Beatrice looks up, the twins' heads snap towards her and they immediately get to their feet.

   "Where is she? Where is she, mor?" Stella asks desperately, walking over to the stressed woman.

   "We don't know, Stella. We don't know yet,"

   Rowan grabs his head and turns around, "You must've upset her. You know not to push her over the limits. Did you scold her? Did you- Did you scream at her? What'd you do, mor? What—"

   "Just- Just shut up! Please. . ." the woman sits on the couch and rubs her forehead, heartbeat accelerating.

Stella and Rowan share a knowing look before they sit in front of their mother. The two seem incredibly unsure of themselves, and the confusion and dread that pool on their bottom lids are simply impossible to miss. Apart from superficial details, the twins are clones of each other, and Beatrice has had 19 whole years to master her ability to read straight through her four children.

Unfortunately, she wasn't able to read through Oakley, and what happened, happened.

Fortunately, though, the rivalry between the twins and their younger sister has never been thick enough to keep them from learning and caring for her more every single day. The girl's a wreck, but there are very few people that know her with all her flaws and wonders, and amongst those people are Rowan and Stella. It's always said family comes first, but when family starts splitting into two dualities, choosing sides starts depending on the moral, and not the preference.

   "Mor, where's dad?"

Looking up at her daughter in confusion, Beatrice's eyebrows furrow and she looks between the two.

   "He's in the mainland, I've told you guys a thousand times," she replies.

   Rowan shuts his eyes in stress and looks at her again, "Did he say why he was leaving? Did he even say goodbye?"

   Beatrice's eyebrows furrow further and the change in subject definitely starts to discomfort her.

   "Why?— What does this have to do with everything?" She looks at them.

When the twins were born, the gynecologist that had assisted Beatrice on her birth had repeated multiple times how special the bond between the two babies was. Crying at the same time, holding hands as soon as they were out of the womb— they would even share looks and start grinning at just 2 months of age. Beatrice was delighted to know her twins had an astonishing telepathy, and she wished and prayed for that connection never to be lost. And it certainly didn't. In fact, it got stronger.