xxii. bye bye birdie

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

WHEN THE THE MORNING WAKES AND OAKLEY'S PHONE rings, it's oficial that the day has started and the Pogues are ready to be on the go. For the first time in what feels like forever, John B decides to give life signals by calling the girl and asking them all to join him at the Château. Just like they used to before they got in all the Merchant mayhem from which they came out losing.

Oakley's wound burned and stung when she came to from her sleep, making it an already distasteful late morning which only JJ achieved to make better by comforting her and doing his best to disinfect it when they drove by the drug store on their way to the Château. She'd taken some pain killers and bought a new gauze for the blood that already covered the old one. It isn't until a few near-faints and whimpers of pain that the two arrive at the Château, finding Kie and John B already sitting lazily on the dock.

Oakley is nervous, in all honesty. If the rumors are true, and Ward Cameron did, in fact, kill Big John, then Oakley fears John B will take his anger out on her like a personal vendetta just because she carries the Cameron blood. The murder of a person is no joke, and just the idea of her own uncle killing an innocent man and shutting his mouth for almost a year sends shivers down her spine and definitely down John B's. The boy has been her rock for as long as she's conscious of her existence, and living without the privilege of being his best friend simply isn't an option. Not to mention Oakley's terror of confrontation.

   "There they are," JJ tells the girl, holding her hand as they walk down.

John B lays on the floor tiredly with a frown on his face. He plays with his cast and looks around aimlessly before his eyes fall on the arriving two and his eyes widen slightly at the splatter of blood on Oakley's sweatshirt— which actually belongs to the boy next to her.

   "Oak?" He furrows his eyebrows and sits up.

She purses her lips and holds her head slightly low as she approaches the boy.

   "What happened?" He asks, nodding at the stain.

   Oakley shakes her head dismissively, "Nothing important," she states, looking at him, "Are you okay?"

John B's gaze diverts from her set of sky eyes and look over the horizon thoughtfully, doubting whether or not he was or was not okay. It had been a whirlwind of events the last days, and John B hadn't had the time to stop and ask himself 'What now?'. Barely having time to care about his own feelings and dealing with his own grief, John B finds himself numb.

   "I guess," he shrugs and Oakley sits on the floor next to him, disconnecting her hand from JJ's warm one as he sits on the railing next to Kie.

Oakley places her hands behind her and leans back, taking a deep breath.

   "Are you mad at me?" She asks carefully.

John B takes a second to react, for her words don't settle until he remembers the connection she has with his father's cold-blooded murderer. His jaw clenches and he licks his lips.