xvii. cherry aftertaste.

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

WHEN THEY ARRIVE AT THE CHÂTEAU, Kiara and Sarah both head home to gather some well-needed resources for the trip tonight, leaving the girl behind with the three boys. After saying their brief 'See you later's, the four remaining walk into the house, Oakley connected by the hip to the blonde boy who refuses to leave her side.

But before she even takes a step into the house, she feels her arm be held back and turns.

"Oak," John B says softly.

JJ swivels around when he doesn't feel her next to him and the girl turns to him. When blue meets blue, a thousand words no other living human could possibly understand are spoken, and even if JJ doesn't want to keep faking his disinterest to hide their strange relationship, he does it for the sake of her and walks away with Pope in tow.

Oakley turns to the brunette as the door shuts.

"Hm?" She raises her eyebrows at him, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Are you mad at me?" He asks, cringing at his own words and scared he might set her anger off.

Oakley curls her bottom lip between her teeth and looks away.

"Am I mad at you, am I mad at you. . ." she pretends to think, narrowing her eyes comically before stopping on his eyes again, "I don't know, depends on who's asking," She shrugs.

John B gulps as he knows not to speak.

"So, who's asking, John B? The guy I've known for fifteen years or. . . just a guy?"

The boy's eyes blink away and he takes in a deep breath.

"Look, I might be 'exaggerating' or whatever. And I'm quite surprised Kie let this go so easily, but I haven't, and I won't, John B," she nods, sorrow and disillusionment pouring from her crystal spheres.

She shakes her head and raises her arms slightly before dropping them back at her sides.

"Honestly, I just can't comprehend the logic behind being unable to choose between a one-day lover and a lifetime best friend. But. . . you do you, I guess,"

"It's not that, Oak. I wasn't expecting to fall in love with Sarah Cameron either, it just. . . it happened, alright? And- and there are two different kinds of love,"

Oakley tilts her head.

"Enlighten me,"

John B watches her for a long second and licks his lips.

"W-well, there's the love for a person that's been there with you through everything. I relate it to, I don't know, admiration— gratefulness. You'd do anything for that person, just like they have for you,"